Thursday, February 20, 2014

Getting ready for the Ziggi Jacket sewalong - the main fabric has arrived


I'm doing it!  Pushing myself out of my comfort zone again and joining in on the Style Arc Ziggi Jacket sew-along co-hosted by the lovely StacySews and Sew Maris.

Why do I say "out of my comfort zone"?  
  1. I have yet to sew anything from a Style Arc pattern, In fact, I purchased from Style Arc for the first time just a month ago.
  2. I haven't sewn or worn a jacket of this style in many, many years.  But I've seen soooo many that appeal to me in the fashion magazines that I wanted to jump in on the trend.
  3. I have never sewn leather before.  Oh I have some leather sitting in my sewing room, but that's as far as I've gotten.  One large gray suede leather skin I purchased from SR Harris Fabric Outlet two years ago but never worked up the courage to cut into it and stitch it up into something!   I was hoping it could be used as the contrast shoulder section of this pattern but I'm not sure the colors will work together. 
To get over my fear of sewing leather I decided to try this in a faux leather.  I purchased the "Perfection Fused Leather" from Fabric.com.  (Thanks to Stacy tweeting about it soon after the idea of the Ziggi sew-along was birthed.)  It was much more reasonably priced than leather, too! ($14.98 per yard, and for 2-1/2 yards I paid less than I did for the leather skin I mentioned earlier)

I placed the order and in the busyness of life kinda forgot about it.

Until this big honking box showed up on my doorstep!

At first I was confused - why would they ship my fabric in such a large box?  Until I peeked inside.  Oh yea, that's right, it's faux leather and they rolled it to prevent creases.
Now I should admit that I purchased more than just the faux leather for the jacket.  I purchased a few other pieces for another project I have in mind - but I can't share that with you just yet!


I was pleased with how well the fabric was packaged. It's on cardboard tubes and shrink-wrapped.  The orange is a different type of fabric. It's the "Versace Faux Leather" that cost $15.98 a yard and I'm not sure I like it as much. But I'll see after I sew it up into its intended design.

It's difficult to see in this photo, but here's the gunmetal gray I'll be using for the Ziggi jacket.
Now I just need to find some zippers and I should be ready to join the fun!

It's not too late to join in. Check out Stacy's blog post for more information.

*********************************************************** Pin It

11 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you're doing this sew-along! I LOVE Style Arc patterns, and I would love to have a biker jacket. I won't be able to sew-along in real time, but when I'm ready to be cool, I am glad I'll be able to refer back to the sew-along! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check back on our blogs Kate - this jacket is so cool you definitely will want it in your closet!

      Delete
    2. Kate, I'm excited to sew a Style Arc pattern - most everyone that has sewn them says the same thing - they LOVE them!

      Delete
  2. So glad you are able to join in the fun Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It will be fun - although I'll be joining in a week late :-)

      Delete
  3. What, there's a sew-along?! I cut this pattern for "Fearless February" but didn't start sewing yet, so this is perfect for cowardly March. :) I'm stuck at the finding zippers stage too. I don't like anything locally and I don't want to put a lot of work into something and have cheap looking zippers. I'm really curious to hear where you plan to get yours. Even ordering on-line there is so little selection compared to what you can find in RTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Join in! I'll post when I figure out the zippers - someone suggested Hancock Fabric store which is local to me, but I don't know. I agree about wanting everything to look good if I put in all that time and effort!

      Delete
  4. I like to join, but I just heard about it and how could I get a pattern this late?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! It takes about 2 weeks from the time you order 'til you get your pattern and while you wait, you can gather your materials, etc. We'll roughly be doing 2 posts about it a week (today is strictly tips and tricks on cutting) so there will be plenty of time for everyone to catch up (plus it's permanently on the blogs so you can always refer back to it). If you're interested, join our Flickr group (http://www.flickr.com/groups/2517916@N24/) and you can keep tabs on all the posts!

      Delete
  5. I've read Great things about the Style Arc Patterns. This jacket has Great Style. Looking forward to seeing your finished jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are joining in the sew along! I like your fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin