Saturday, February 22, 2014

Fabric fun - spot the spot

A few years ago while shopping at my favorite fabric outlet store, SR Harris Fabric Outlet, I spotted this great silk print in the silk bargain bin.  
 At only $5/yard I purchased what remained and brought it home with me intending to sew the jacket from Vogue 1262.
(Honestly, sometimes I am amazed at how little imagination I have when I end up choosing fabric that mimics the sample on the pattern envelope! Do you ever do that too? )
Well, I had good intentions of sewing this (...and you know the saying about good intentions, right?) but as of today the pattern is still pristine and folded inside its envelope.

Jungle January 2014 arrived and I eagerly pulled out this fabric! After all, it's a giraffe print, right?

As I unrolled it in anticipation of finally stitching up this jacket I couldn't help but laugh at myself.


Do you spot it?

Ha! Ha! Ha!  All this time what I assumed was large and small giraffe spots (...and you know the saying about making assumptions, right?)  was actually giraffes surrounded by giraffe spots!  And they're big!  Each giraffe measures about 36 inches.  Hmmmm, not really gonna work for that jacket.  And by the time I figured out what to sew with the fabric Jungle January had ended and I moved onto another project.

But stay tuned...this giraffe print may make an appearance again soon!

 ************************************************************** 


Pin It

24 comments:

  1. Hello from Spain: great fabric. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this fabric. Can you do a maxi something? g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun? I do have plans for it - and it's not a maxi. Although I just came across a new skirt pattern that I may use for this fabric.

      Delete
  3. Giraffoflague? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giraffoflague - love it too!

      Delete
  4. What a great story!!! Surprise!! Jacket lining? I think it's perfect for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even thought of using it for lining!

      Delete
  5. That is funny! I can't imagine how much trouble I'd get into at a fabric outlet like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea it can be dangerous! But fun :-)

      Delete
  6. That is such a cool fabric. I have fabric envy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every once in awhile I stumble across a great unique piece! And thanks

      Delete
  7. Lol. It's cool fabric though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh My Gosh, it's fabulous, i love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure you were surprised as I would be also! I am sure with your sewing talents you will find a great garment to sew using this cool fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, they measured the fabric for me wrong side up and I never unrolled it until I was going to use it so I never noticed LOL

      Delete
  10. I know you are going to create something great!! It like second nature to you. By the way, THANK YOU!! for encouraging me to sew for Barbie again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brini! Glad you feel inspired to sew for Barbie again.

      Delete
  11. You know you torture me every time you mention SR Harris! Torture!!! *LOL* I'm sure you've thought of something wonderful to make with the giraffe fabric - can't wait to see what it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the cure Carolyn! Come visit and go shopping !

      Delete
  12. Hehe, what a fun fabric to work with! I have a feeling I know what are you going to make with it... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You have guessed correctly!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin