Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Jungle January: The Purple Animal Top - Vogue 1261

May I present to you my first Jungle January item.
 

The pattern is Vogue 1261, an out-of-print (OOP) Alice + Olivia design. 

The fabric is a lightweight, semi-sheer animal print knit from Emma One Sock.

I purchased the fabric about two years ago with another pattern in mind but I didn't realize from the description that it was as lightweight as it is.  The black portions of the fabric are actually semi-sheer. So I tucked it away waiting for the perfect top, and there it was all along. Vogue 1261. 
In 2011 I had sewed View B (the cream one on the cover) in a lovely pink wool knit. Unfortunately the wool irritated by skin and I donated the top after wearing it twice.

This time I sewed view C.  With the semi-sheer design of the knit I figured I could wear a black cami under the looser fitting top.

Construction is very quick but a couple of things to note.  The ease in the body is quite generous but the lower portion of the sleeves are tight.  

And that neckline!  Holy cow is it wide!  I ended up adding a solid black band just so it would not fall off of my shoulders.  Once it was added I actually like the added design detail.

All I did was create a "facing" piece by tracing along the neck edge being sure to add seam allowances. 

I'm really pleased with the top and honestly I can't believe I waited this long to realize I my gorgeous Emma One Sock fabric was perfect for this pattern.


Now to decide on my next Jungle January project...

http://prttynpnk.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/jj3.jpg?w=762

*****************************************************************
Pin It

23 comments:

  1. so good to see you sewing again! Love that top. how nice! g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks G! I have a confession to make, I sewed this Dec. 31. I was too excited for Jungle January and couldn't wait. I'm just now getting around to posting it because of the family emergency

      Delete
  2. Lovely top ~ I think the added neckband just adds to it perfectly (and makes it more comfy to wear) ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith! I really like how the black band turned out also.

      Delete
  3. Nice top - good to use up some stash. Shame about the pink wool top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! I'm so happy I finally found the perfect pattern for that fabric (which is much more gorgeous in person by the way)

      Delete
  4. Love it! Get your sunscreen- you are going on the Friday jungle style cruise!!!
    I hate that pattern being OOP- it's very swell.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo, I love cruises and a jungle style one sounds extra fun!

      Delete
  5. Perfect and very on trend. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that you were able to get back into your sewing room to make this happen! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Carolyn, thank you! I need to sew as much as I need to breath, especially when things are out of my control around me as they have been this past week. That being said, as I confessed to G, I sewed this before the family emergency and am just now getting around to posting :-)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you!

      Delete
  8. Great top! Great style and easy to wear. Perfect combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda! I can hardly wait for it to warm up enough so I can actually wear the top! It's too cold to even put it on and model for blog photos :-)

      Delete
  9. I think the black band at the neckline makes it look more expensive and well made. Good choice, and nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Once I completed it I realized I really like that extra band

      Delete
  10. I agree with gailanncreates. The black band makes it so much sharper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The top looks great. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The black band is a fabulous design feature! Your top looks great.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin