Thursday, December 26, 2013

Metallic Sparkle Sweater - Burda 128 12-2013



Christmas Eve day found me at the sewing machine putting the final stitches on a few gifts.  Once that task was completed I planned to sew another McCall's 6797 (that fabulous asymmetrical pullover top I blogged about here) out of a beautiful silver knit from Mood Fabrics.  However with the temps falling rapidly I knew I needed to go for warmth over fashion this Christmas season.  

Since I'd be donning a sweater, jeans and boots from my closet I wrapped up my sewing for the day and settled into a comfy chair to read a few sewing blogs and browse PatternReview.

And there it was! My top for the evening!   A simple pullover top from Burda 12-2013 issue (you can purchase a downloadable version here.) I quickly pulled out the magazine and set out to trace the pattern. 

Fortunately there are only three pattern pieces - a front, a back and a lower sleeve.  I did one alteration to the pattern before cutting. I did a small FBA adding a little width and length to the front.  Only 1-3/4 yard of 60" wide knit fabric is needed. The fabric I had in mind, purchased two years ago, was a deep purple sweater knit with a silver metallic thread adding that perfect holiday sparkle.
 


 Construction is ridiculously easy. If you have a bit of sewing experience you won't even need to refer to the instructions. The front, back and lower sleeve are all cut on the fold. The lower sleeve is cut on the fold with 1/2 folded to the inside forming a facing.  The metallic threads in the knit scratch a bit, so instead of doing a self-facing I cut the lower sleeve in two pieces. One cut from the fashion fabric the other from a lightweight black knit.  I then sewed them together before stitching to the sleeve.


Speaking of sleeves. That lower sleeve is 9-1/2" long.  Long and tight enough to push up to wear as 3/4 length of long enough to cover your hands when they're cold :-)


I used the same knit to finish the inside of the neckline also.

I was able to trace, cut and sew the top in less than two hours and still have time to bake my dad a batch of his favorite Christmas cookies!
The sweater made its debut that night at family Christmas gathering - and yes, I managed to stay warm.

********************************************







Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Great looking sweater. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I'm with you on wanting to be warm. I actually wore some wool tights under an evening gown. They didn't show and I was warm and comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! Glad it was a quick yet rewarding sew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Quick and stylish ~ what more could we want at Christmas ... J

    ReplyDelete
  5. The German silver products are being used for various reasons in these days. The silver is also used for the manufacturing of Pooja articles. german silver products, silver plated pooja articles

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a fun shirt! I like your treatment for the lower sleeve. Also I am impressed with your cookie making output!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! That's a great color, and the style really looks wonderful with the glittery fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful sweater :D

    http://irasrandomlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. A real informative blog like this is an exceptionally cool helping resource for a needy information seeker like me! Thanks a lot for share with us.
    Web Development Karachi

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin