Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A 1970s Maxi Dress - Vogue 1662 Diane von Furstenburg

I'm still loving my maxi dresses this season, specifically the two I sewed using McCall's 6559.  My first version as a gray/white plaid (blogged about here) and my next was a black with huge brightly colored flowers on the front (blogged about here).

I decided I wanted one more go-to maxi dress for the summer sewn out of another large floral print.  Call me crazy but I decided to break the mold and sew an old Diane von Furstenburg pattern I had picked up some time ago - Vogue 1662.
The pattern as still factory-folded and my size - yay!  

I love that the neckline on the bodice is marked as a "Decollete Neckline".  You don't typically see details like that on patterns any longer.

As I was cutting the pattern pieces it occurred to me that I'd need to do an FBA on the bodice.  Rather than slash the vintage pattern apart I decided to use the bodice of McCall's 6559, which I had already altered.
 I was curious how much of a difference there was between the two. Here I've shown Vogue 1662 pattern is on top of McCall's 6559 - as you can see there's not much of a difference. The Vogue is narrower at the armhole and neckline because it's designed for a separate bands.  I decided to eliminate them.
 I added the attached long tie sash to the front of the dress, per the pattern instructions.  However after wearing the dress for a day I discovered the sash tends to pull down probably due to the nature of the soft knit. I'll likely unpick the stitches and simply tie the sash at the waist when I wear the dress.  
 
The knit is an RPL (rayon-poly-lycra) purchased from SR Harris.

I was curious was year the pattern was released as Vogue did not print copyright dates on these 70s era patterns.  I flipped through a couple of my old Vogue pattern catalogs looking for the pattern. I wasn't successful finding it in a Spring 1976 catalog, but found it in this November 1977 so it was released around 1976/1977. 

Don't you love it when a 30+  design remains on trend? 

**********************************************************



Pin It

28 comments:

  1. Looks marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First - love, love, love the dress!
    Second - I can't believe you held onto the old pattern catalogs! Can I just say I'm sooooo jealous! *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! And don't be jealous...I repurchased some old pattern catalogs on eBay 10+ years ago when they used to be fairly reasonably priced :-)

      Delete
  3. Definately a classic. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a classic, isn't it? Thanks!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely dress and a perfect choice of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look lovely in your new dress. Congratulations on another success. Um, how many pattern catalogs do you have? Just curious. I imagine it's fun to page through them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. As far as pattern catalogs go...I've picked up about a dozen or so the years ranging from early 70s to mid 80s - some Vogue, some McCall's, some Butterick and some Simplicity. They are fun to page through!

      Delete
  6. It's a beautiful dress. I hope i can find this pattern - it's a classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! Keep your eyes open on eBay and Etsy - I found this one on eBay a few years ago and I know I paid less than $10

      Delete
  7. First of all, I would love it if I could fit into one of my 30 year old patterns! : )

    This dress is lovely and you look very nice in a maxi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janis!

      I have to confess, this is not original to me. I could never fit into the size patterns I sewed with 30 years ago - And 30 years ago I rarely bought Vogue patterns as they were way out of my price range :-)

      Delete
  8. First of all, I would love it if I could fit into one of my 30 year old patterns! : )

    This dress is lovely and you look very nice in a maxi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janis I certainly could not fit into one of my patterns from 30 years ago! I purchased this in my current size

      Delete
  9. Love it!! You Rock that DvF..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the patterned fabric and the dress. Looking at at the pattern there isn't much difference to the maxi-dresses in the shops this summer. Fashion never goes out of style but each season the designers will convince us to part with our money for the 'latest trends'. DVF is one of my favourite designers. Ha! we can have designer dresses without the designer price and it fits to our measurements! Looking forward to your next blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vivienne! You're right, some styles are timeless and I do love having a "designer" dress that actually fits me

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh! I love that dress! What a fabulous classic style with that a-line skirt! And your fabric choice is perfect .

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful dress! Pure summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful dress! I've never worn a maxi dress before, but you make me want to whip one up :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin