Monday, December 10, 2012

Vogue 8780 knit cardi pattern review


Vogue 8780 , described as a "fitted, unlined jacket", was indeed unlined, but I certainly would not say this is fitted.  The pattern pieces went together well, the directions easy to follow and it deserves the "very easy" rating is was given by Vogue.

The front has a cascading effect while the back has a waistline seam and a full lower back.  A hidden detail is the side inseam pockets.

While fabric recommendation are for sherpa fabric, double-sided fleece, or double knit, I choose to use a striped ITY knit purchased during the 2011 Pattern Review Day shopping trip to SR Harris.

Sewing of the cardi was completed a few months ago.  However, I though you might enjoy some garment photos framed by white, otherwise known as heavy snowfall and wind.  Yes, it was as cold as it looks so you might want to grab a cup of hot tea or cocoa to warm yourself as you look at the photos.

The front showing the collar folded back extending into the front.  Think about how you sew that center back collar seam as the seam will show when you follow the directions as given by the pattern company.

The back view shows that fabulous full skirt effect I mentioned earlier.  Can you spot the center back bodice seam?  Hopefully only if you look really, really close.  I hand basted the seam to help keep the stripes matched.

The side shows the one thing I don't like about the cardi - when worn the entire front of the cardi has a tendency to pull towards the back. I thought perhaps I had sewn it a size too large, but another sewer had the same complaint about their version.  It's a bit annoying, but not enough to keep me from wearing it again.


Finally, this has nothing to do with the pattern review - but you MUST have noticed the big, black dog in the photos.  Or at least parts of her :-)
This is her favorite time of year.  She spends hours in the snow thanks to being Black Lab and Newfoundland mix that provided her with a think under and over coat that keeps her very well insulated.

***********************************************
Pin It

21 comments:

  1. cute cardi, especially worn with bright colors, but your dog is MUCH cuter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yea, she is pretty cute isn't she?

      Delete
  2. Oh I love this- thats my kind of fitted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! Not what I would call fitted, but definitely comfy.

      Delete
  3. You make the cutest things! That pattern looks super made from a stripe. Snow--you're have a white Christmas. MI doesn't have any snow yet--but lots and lots of rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen! Yea, we're for sure having a white Christmas. And shhhh, don't tell but I was secretly hoping we wouldn't :-) I will admit I'd rather have snow versus rain.

      Delete
  4. That's a cute cardi and I love it in the stripe. What a cute dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The pattern was chosen to go with the stripe fabric. And yea, we think she's pretty cute too. Even when she drools...

      Delete
  5. I made the same and yes it wasn't 'fitted' as described but with a nice belt it became fitted. That's why I love to sew be able to get creative. Also the dog is so cute too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, a belt! Now why didn't I think of that? Great idea.

      Delete
  6. I like it! I love how the stripes move direction. I want snow. Beau loves it - my Abby hates it. I bet you have a hard time getting your Abby in. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G - you can have our snow. We have more than enough to share! Abby is crazy happy about snow and cold. We seriously can't get her in some days as she just buries herself in a snowbank and watches the world go by.

      Delete
  7. I have a favorite rtw cardigan of the same design. But I love yours in the stripes. I must take a look at that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The design is great - except for having to adjust the shoulder area at times. Super easy to sew - you could whip one up in hours.

      Delete
  8. Great cardi. Love the use of stripes in this design. And your photos are great fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group? There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Thank you!halong tours

    ReplyDelete
  10. SILENT SEDUCTION ! If The Language of Desire is all about how to use words to infiltrate a man’s mind… Silent Seduction is how to create absolute craving in him without saying anything at all. In this special training I’ll teach you how to use body language – a wink, a smile, the tilt of your head – to short circuit his sexual nervous system and drive him absolutely wild. hostgator coupon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Smile I love reading and I am always searching for informative infoasdadrmation like this.Passbeemedia This is exactly what I was looking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. boost your bust : Jenny Bolton Reveals How To Get Bigger Breasts Naturally Using Scientifically Backed And Easy To Implement Breast Enlargement Techniques. real estate loans

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin