Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Vogue 1315 - a review and lesson in pattern placement

I just finished sewing Vogue 1315 - an adorable pullover knit dress, sewn in a fabulous ITY Cache knit from Fabric Mart Fabrics.

The pattern is a Rebecca Taylor design that is very simple to sew, with a few fun details, like pleated pockets.

So I'm wondering...have you ever painstakingly laid out your pattern pieces --- matching the front and back along the shoulder seams, making sure both sleeves feature the same pattern and the top and bottom portions match at the waist seam --- only to discover an "oops" moment when you tried on the garment? 

Yea, me too. 

When I cut this dress out I was so careful to match everything that I didn't quite think where the dark stripes would land.  I had a good chuckle when I saw the photos and realized what I had done. Those faux "suspenders" were not intended to be one of the design details of the dress.

Oh well.  Live and learn. 

Let me tell you more about the dress details.

The round neckline is finished with a double raw-edge binding. One binding is just slightly winder than the other. 

The top and bottom are sewn together at the waist.  That seam is sewn to the skirt portion to create the casing for the elastic. The pockets are cut in the skirt and created by making a small pleat and sewing a dart.

I did make two little alterations to the pattern.

First of all I did a teeny-tiny full bust adjustment (FBA). 

Heads up on the length! This dress is short. 

I added 6" to the length.  I simply cut the skirt along the lengthen/shorten line, added the additional length, taped the paper in place and trued the cutting lines.

The dress ends just at my knee rather than mid-thigh. After all, I plan to wear the dress to work. An entire animal print dress is probably already pushing the limit in my semi-conservative work environment.

**********************************************************
Pin It

17 comments:

  1. This is sooooo cute on you! Wear it to work with a black cardi, it will hide some of the animal print and make it more work appropriate. I always do that with my prints!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your oops moment was intentional.
    This is a cool look for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. And I'm Carolyn, throw on a black cardi - will be perfect for work. g

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this on you and I find your oops gave the dress a nice touch, rather elongating. I have this pattern and really glad you reviewed it here. Even though I am short I may have to have some length as I don't see this length being suitable for work or for someone my age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I didn't even see the suspenders...I just saw your beautiful self :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow really pretty i gotta try this

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great dress and love it with the boots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous- thanks for the details- I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too cute and I did this exact thing. I was thinking about one concept and realized there was another more important concept I should have considered
    but you do just have to give it a chuckle and as far as this dress...you're the only one to think of this dress in that(suspenders) way. It looks smashing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So so cute! Love the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Free Bollywood hot News, Bollywood Top Hot Actress and Hot Desi Girls Beautiful hot Pictures.
    hotentertainnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Most Popular and Famous Vehicles, Latest Speed Cars, Sports Cars Info and Pictures.
    worldlatestvehicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

  13. welcome to our shop,Our shop sells a brands of products.There have Abercrombie Milano, Hollister Espa?a, Abercrombie outlet, hollister milano .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Latest Hot Current Affairs, Entertainment News, Pictures, Videos, Latest Hot News updates, Business News, Online Marketing, Online Jobs, Mp3 Tunes, Latest Ringtones, Bollywood Girls, Entertainment Girls, Hot Girls and Most popular Affairs in the World
    Daily News updates about Latest and Hot Current Affairs
    HotCurrentAffairs.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just made this dress and wished I could have seen this first. Yes this dress is short. I am "tall" but really5'8" and this is scary short. I actually added bias seam tape on the bottom of the skirt to save the length. Still scary! I mean I any believe it is that short.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin