Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Fun with border prints or McCall's 6612 Take Two

I loved the first dress I sewed using McCall's 6612 so much that I decided to whip up another one this weekend.


You see, we took the motorcycle out for spin to enjoy the gorgeous summer weather.  And wouldn't you know it? We ended up at my favorite local fabric warehouse - SR Harris. LOL!

While cutting the fabric I originally came to purchase (a beautiful silk intended for a Sew News article I'm working on) I spied a huge pile of sample cuts priced at only $4 per yard.  Oh my! My heart beat a little faster as I slowly approached the pile taking in the various colors and textures while trying to decide where to begin.  This yellow and black print was buried near the bottom and I immediately envisioned another McCall's 6612 knit dress. Oh it was fun seeing what treasures were in that pile. 

Oops!  Only one little problem. While paying for my purchases I suddenly remembered we had arrived on the motorcycle.  Fortunately I was able to cram the fabric into one of the storage boxes.


I know the title says "fun with fabric border prints" and well, it's not exactly a border print.  The graduating polka dots repeat in a definitive pattern.


But the print does appear as a border along the hemline, does it not?

************************************************
Pin It

19 comments:

  1. I like to see new ways to use border prints, and your double-border print worked really well for that pattern. Of course, now I must have that pattern!

    The last time I bought fabric while we were out on the bike, I bought 10 yards of double-wide quilt backing so I could make sheets. The fabric had to be cut in half so it would fit in the two saddle bags!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a great basic pattern. I cut it a size larger in the hips because I hate tight fitting clothing and it's designed for a close fit.

      I got so engrossed in fabric shopping that I forgot we had the bike until she was preparing to bag my purchases. I did have a slight moment when I thought it wouldn't fit.

      Delete
    2. It's so nice to know I am not the only one who doesn't care for tight knit clothing. What's that all about? The dress looks wonderful.

      Delete
  2. How cool. I love using borders too. You're doing so well with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are kinda fun to play around with aren't they?

      Delete
  3. Such a fun print!
    xo
    lilithfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are working that pattern and border prints! Another stunning dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! I'm loving the border prints this year :-)

      Delete
  5. That is a fabulous dress! I LOVE that print! When I look at your pics, I just want to get up and Zumba. But I don't. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Although you can't sew and Zumba at the same time...

      Delete
  6. Gosh, I am so envious of the beautiful fabric you are finding. Loved the first border print dress, but this is just as pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous thing! Wow. Please feel free to buy two cuts of the same fabrics each time you shop and send the one of them to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darn! I hate it when I go to SR Harris with my enabler (friend) who keeps piling fabric into my cart until I have to get another cart and then when the second one is full I spend an hour cutting but I go home paying so much less than anywhere else that I really don't feel too guilty. Don't you? I haven't been in a long time and need some more garment fabrics. Thanks so much for reminding me!

    Hope to see you at the MPLS MQG meeting next Thursday! It's a social at Sewtropolis. No pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh My! I'm with Shams and Gwen. Seeing that dress and how darling you look makes me want to figure out my two left feet and get up and zumba. The Gwen side is feel free to buy 2 cuts and send one my way ;)

    Amazing dress! g

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it. You and Lori are rockin' the border prints.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great use of the border print, Sharon! You really look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin