Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Am I blue? Another Simplicity 2599 top

Nah, I'm not blue. I'm actually loving this color blue.  Although the photograph doesn't show off it's true blue beauty.

It's another Simplicity 2599 pullover top.  The last version was my "everything's coming up roses" top sewn in January.

This time around, I eliminated the center back neck slit as well as the neck facing.  Although I must admit I mindlessly cut out, interfaced and sewed the neck facing to the top before I realized what an awful idea that was.  Especially with the top edge of that upper ruffle sewn into the seam.  Yikes! I topped and exclaimed loudly "wait a minute...that looks like crap!"
Immediately followed by "Oh silly...why didn't you finish the neck edge with a bias binding like the armholes?" And yes, I really do talk out loud to myself whilst sewing by myself.  Don't you?

I carefully unstitched the facing, removed it from the neck edge and tossed it.  Fortunately I had enough fabric left over to cut a bias strip for the neck binding.

Do you know how hard polyester charmeuse is to iron?  All I wanted was to enough of a crease to use as a sewing guideline when I sewed the binding to the neck.   I used my handy-dandy bias tape maker as well as silk organza as a press cloth so I wouldn't melt the darn stuff.

The instructions do not call for any finish on the upper edge of the ruffles. I finished them with my serger.  Oops! My secret's out. I don't always rethread the serger to match my fabric.  Oh what the heck, the ruffles cover the top edge and it's highly unlikely that white thread will ever be seen beyond this photograph.

I finished the hem by sewing lace seam binding to the lower edge, turning to the wrong side, lightly pressing (with my silk organza press cloth) and stitching in place. Sure beat trying to create a tiny turned under hem.


Besides, I had the perfect color vintage lace seam binding in my stash. Although can you really call something from 1980 "vintage"?

 
************************************************************** Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Wow - I love this pattern, it's on my to-do list :) The color of your blouse is fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous top, Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vivienne7:21 AM

    Love the top and your detailed commentary on all your creations. Sewing is my passion along with fashion, but its fabric that makes me go weak at the knees. Now that the seasons are changing and living in London blessed with London Fashion Week and working in fashion I have so many ideas that I want to sew. Patterns galore in the cupboard with bags of fabric waiting to be stitched. So glad that I discovered your blog as it re-inforces that making your own clothes is the best thing ever. I love being creative and have loads of ideas. I have an Asian/Indian wedding coming up in October and found some stunning bright pink fabric that was deep in my cupboard. Going to make a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What--no border print? Even so, this top is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you imagine that people are calling the 80's vintage! Makes me feel old! This is another wonderful top! You've been on a roll lately, one beautiful garment after another!

    ReplyDelete
  6. color looks great, and I love love love the ruffles!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin