Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Fun with border prints - or McCall's 6612 dress review

Shhhh...don't tell, but I'm kinda having an affair with border prints.  
 I blame it on Denver Fabrics.  When we vacationed in Colorado this past June I begged my hubby to "just swing by" so I could check the store out.  Which he did, bless his heart. However, with only 45 minutes and a $100 budget it was a mad dash to check everything out and decide what should come home with me.  Oddly enough I ended up with multiple border prints...

Remember my McCall's 6559 maxi dress with the huge flowers?  Yep, border print from Denver Fabrics.

I recently finished a summer skirt using a polka dot border print purchased at Denver Fabrics.  You haven't seen it yet. Unless you follow me on Instagram.  Then you've seen the sneak peeks. 

Now I present to you another knit dress sewn using yet another border print knit from Denver Fabrics. Not only did this have a border, but it appears to have been a panel the way the design repeats.  Which presented some challenges in laying out the pattern.

The pattern is McCall's 6612, chosen for its simple design which allowed the fabric to take center stage.

With limited yardage (did I forget to mention this was purchased in the bargain section at Denver Fabrics as a pre-cut?) I had to be careful with the layout.  I planned it so the orange was not next to my face as it's not my best color. I choose the cowl neck so the border print would not act as a bulls-eye at my bust. I also discovered that I could only have the border running along one side of the dress.  I choose to have that be the right side of the dress. To make sure the front and back lined up I cut the pattern pieces out single layer.
Sewing itself took less than two hours.  I spent more time planning the layout than I did sewing the dress!  The only change I made to the directions was to add clear elastic to the back to help stabilize the neckline.

It passed the "I wore it to work all day and I still love it" test.  Now if only my hair would stop wilting by the end of the workday...

Here's a side view of the dress showing the border.
Another side view showing the side without the border - McCall's 6612
The border print knit dress - McCall's 6612

The back of the border print dress - McCall's 6612
So tell me, do you love border prints too?
*****************************************************************

Pin It

30 comments:

  1. I saw it on Instagram but I have to tell you that these pictures of the dress are so much more impressive. What a fantastic use of the fabric! I love this dress on you! And you know that I love border prints just as much as you do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your placement of the border print - ab fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you've used this border print. They are like a big puzzle and you've worked this puzzle out. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! Well worth your time and effort trying to lay it out just perfectly. It looks so pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is a fantastic dress and looks gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog!!! Follow each other? Now I follow you! : ) http://thelittledreamerbyep.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! Border prints are so fab!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, I love border prints too. I just have a problem working out how to move them form my stash to my wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One I am so envious of this fabric!!!!
    Two, great job with the layout of this! The dress is amazing and very flattering on you!!!!
    Three, the hour will quit wilting when it gets colder, I have the same issue. Why is it with straight hair we want it to stay full or curlier and those with curly hair want it to be straight especially when it is humid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love the assymetrical resolution to your border challenge. It looks wonderful and what a gorgeous print!

    ReplyDelete
  11. GREAT dress!!! Love it!! (I am also loving zumba too!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous dress, I really like how you arranged the print.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How creative! I love your dress. Even though I have a couple of border prints I still haven't used them. And the pattern you used I have been looking for it all over my sewing corners because I swear that I bought it! No luck so far.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice job of placing that border print. The fabric looks like it was painted. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous, Sharon! I really love paisley, and orange and aqua is just about the best color combo ever.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love them! very pretty! i am just too impatient to plan a garment to look like that! amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the positioning of the border pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have some knit border print and have been too scared to cut into it! I love how your dress came out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful dress. Fantastic use of the border print and your hair looks great! g

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love what you did with this fabric for this dress.....Pure GENIUS!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic dress, love the print layout, and it looks so good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. REally beautiful. Love the border print and the color palette. Great dress.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am in love with this dress! I usually skip border prints because I'm not sure what to do with them, but you may have changed my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this dress, the colors are gorgeous! I'm amazed on how you find the time to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really great job on the pattern placement. That's a spectacular dress.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a brilliant use of the fabric, I would never have thought to lay it out that way but it looks fantastic. I especially love the blue belt you've paired it with - just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't know that I LOVE border prints. I really don't like the challenge they present in terms of laying out pattern pieces. But I DO LOVE your dress. It looks lovely and I'd be proud to wear it. (Just quietly, it's in my colours, so if you ever needed to move it on... *smile*)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, I can understand your attraction! Beautiful fabric, beautiful use of it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Quick question - I noticed you made this and a yellow/black dress with the same pattern, both border prints - did you cut on the crossgrain? I have a knit border print I'm dying to make into a similar dress, but am a bit worried about how it would work on the crossgrain, and whether to add additional ease because most of the stretch is on the lengthwise grain. Just curious - your work is great!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks great, I made this same dress

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin