|Trying to keep cool in 101 degree F|
McCall's 6559 maxi dress was sewn in a hurry. You see, I was heading out of town and as the date rapidly approached I realized the temperatures were going to be quite warm where I was headed. Hot actually - with temps predicted in the upper 90s degree F range.
But the main reason I whipped it up was so I'd have something new to wear when I met the staff of Sew News and Sew iT All magazines. Of course, you already knew how excited I was to meet them if you read my previous post.
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I found the pattern to run large. I've mentioned it before, but I do not like tight fitting clothes. So I typically cut my knit dresses a size larger in the waist and hip area, which is what I did with this dress. I also raised the neckline by an inch.
I basted everything together and ended up taking the shoulder seams up by 3/4" and the side seams by an inch at the hip and at least two inches at the waist.
Altering the pattern for an FBA (Full Bust Adjustment)
Thinking the dress would be close fitting, I choose to alter the pattern to add a small FBA so the front of the dress wouldn't pull across my bustline.
First, I cut the dress top and bottom apart along the lengthen and shorten line. I placed the pattern piece over tissue paper and pinned it in place. Next, I drew three lines on the pattern intersecting at the bust apex and cut the pattern along the lines.
I spread the pattern the desired amount, about inch, and taped everything in place.
The bottom and top portions were matched up along the lengthen and shorten lines and taped in place.
Stretch the clear elastic a few times. Measure and cut the clear elastic exactly the same length as the neckline and armhole edges. Serge (or stitch) the clear elastic to the wrong side placing the elastic along the raw edge.
Fold the fabric over to the wrong side and stitch in place.
The clear elastic wasn't needed to help keep the neck edge in place, it just adds a bit of stability (like a strip of lightweight interfacing) and gives a nice finished look to the edge.
Hem the dress using Steam-A-Seam
This is my favorite method for hemming my knit garments. I serge finished the hem edge on this dress before adding the Steam-A-Seam, but sometimes I leave it as is.
Iron Lite Steam-A-Seam was ironed onto the wrong side of the hem close to the raw edge.
Peel away the paper backing exposing the fusible tape.
I highly recommend this pattern. I wore it multiple times while out of town and received compliments each and every time.