Friday, June 29, 2012

Going dotty - Vogue 1258 Vena Cava Knit Dress

Last year, when Vogue released this Vena Cava design (Vogue 1258) , I knew I wanted to sew the dress.  However, weather where I live turns cool early into the fall months so I put the pattern aside with plans to sew it for the 2012 summer season.

A few weeks ago I realized I better get started on sewing this season's summer clothing or I risk having the warm days slip away without anything new to wear.  Oh, the shame! (smile)

I pulled out a fun ITY black knit with hot pink polka dots (purchased from Anne at Needle Nook Fabrics when I took her bra-making class) and began.

Knowing the knit would be somewhat forgiving in it's fit, I choose to not try and alter the puzzling pattern pieces.  Except for raising  the neckline by 1-1/2". 

I cut a 12 at the shoulder/neckline, tapering to a 14/16 at the waist/hip, which worked fine in the bust area due to the stretch of the knit.  The hip should have been smaller as it was designed for a tight fit, but remember, I don't like tight fitting clothing. So the fit of the dress isn't exactly as designed, but it works for my comfort level. 

The sleeve flaps are lower on my shoulder than shown on the model, due to my narrow, sloping shoulders. I also eliminated the rows of topstitching the flaps as it would have been hidden by the polka dot print.
As others have noted, the front ties are really long.  I did not lengthen or shorten the ties, or the dress, and you can see they hang below the hem.

Oh! And I LOVE the pockets hidden in the front drapes. 

From a distance it appears the polka dots are semi-matched at the seams.  However I only had two yards of this fabric, which was the exact yardage required, so I was unable to match the dots.

One thing I noticed is that the back of the dress is ever so slightly higher than the front.  I'll have to watch for that in the future if I decide to sew another one. 

 All in all, this was a fun dress to sew and extremely comfortable to wear. 

****************************************************************** Pin It

16 comments:

  1. I love the dress and the fabric works really well, It looks great on you. (The patterns is on my stash, I really should get started!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon, I don't think I've commented on your blog before. Your dress is fantastic, such a fun print! The colors look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this on you! The print is perfect for the dress and makes it fun and flirty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such cute fabric, and paired with this pattern you made a fun dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great dress! What a fun fabric for this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just perfect for summer...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca :)4:37 PM

    I LOVE this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how you paired a fun fabric with this dress pattern. Makes for a memorable and unique look. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute dress, it looks fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dottie, you look ever so lovely in that drapey dress! Very pretty. And I like your cover-up in your last post, too. Nice sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulously fun and flirty dress. The print is spot on and I love how it looks. Enjoy wearing that this summer. g

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great looking dress! I hadn't imagined this dress in anything other than a solid but it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, I love this in the polka dot print! I've been wanting to make this too, but I also never thought of using anything but a solid. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this dress! Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful outfit!Love your dress!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin