Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Stripey love - Burda Style 9/2011 108 tunic


This lovely striped knit tunic supposed to be my Oscar-inspired challenge over at The Sew Weekly.  Another challenge I missed. This time due to a stupid, stupid, stupid cold that just will not go away.  Sigh...

I took the challenge in a different direction and decided to sew something with gold in the fabric in honor of the Oscar statuette instead of something inspired by an Oscar-nominated movie. I wish you could see this fabric in person as this photo doesn't show the hint of gold in the stripes.

The fabric is from SR Harris and it's fabulous.  Lightweight, but not sheer, and soft, like butter.  The best part is that  I didn't have to dig through the stacks and stacks of fabric to find it. I was at the cutting table and the woman across from me was debating as to whether or not she was going to purchase it.  When she asked me what I thought I exclaimed "heck, yea you should buy it! And can I have the bolt when you're done?"  She bought some - and I got what was left, barely two yards. 

The pattern is the knit tunic #108 from the September 2011 Burda Style magazine.  If you don't get the magazine, you can download the pattern here. I originally sewed it with the long sleeves, as designed, but decided I liked 3/4 sleeves better.

There's not much to mention about the sewing.  It's incredibly simple.  Just like Lisette, I ignored the neck binding.  I serged clear elastic to the wrong side of the neck edge, turned it under and stitched in place.

I'll be honest with you.  I'll never wear it as I've styled it here.  I'm just not comfortable in leggings.  Personally I can't get past the "if you wore the trend the first time around...."  I'll likely pair the tunic with a pair of straight leg jeans and fabulous shoes.  So even though the leggings won't be worn, I'm certain this tunic will venture out of my closet regularly.

***************************************************** Pin It

12 comments:

  1. You look terrific in this tunic and leggings. Cute, and casual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this top Sharon and you look great in leggings but like you I don't feel comfortable in them either and straight away I thought straight leg jeans before I even got to reading that.....great minds think alike.

    Thanks for putting a link to the pattern as this is one I'll be trying and I agree with you, the 3/4 length sleeves look much better....look forward to more fashion shows from you....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that. It looks comfortable and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks SO good on you! I understand the concept of "I wore it the first time around..." but still - with the scarf & boots, you are ROCKIN' that look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Classic striped tops like this always look good but I understand about the leggings feeling - you do have the legs for them though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your top looks great and you will get alot of wear from it. I think you look great in leggings, just wear them out once and you will get so many compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca :)1:26 PM

    Oh, my goodness!! LOVE!!! And you should totally wear the leggings…ignore the trend "once around," focus on the face that it looks great on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Serendipity tha we we both working on this pattern! I really like your stripe version and I think you look great in leggings. I wanted to make the dress version of this top in the magazine (knit top + woven skirt) but although I have everything gathered to make it, spring sewing is calling my name instead

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all things stripey. The fabric works so well with this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! Isn't that adorable!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It certainly would venture out of MY closet, were it mine! Very chic. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin