Thursday, February 23, 2012

Why Vogue 8744 - what long arms you have

I kinda suspected the sleeves on this dress - Vogue 8744 - were going to be pretty long. Especially after placing  the dress on GiGi.  (For those new to my blog, GiGi is my dress form. She's not near as curvy as  I am, but she does give me a general idea of how a garment will look. )

But yikes!  They are much longer than the tips of my fingers.


Now I will admit that I normally shorten my sleeves on almost every pattern I sew, and I forgot to do that on this one.  But even my normal 1/2"to 3/4"alteration would have these sleeves covering my hands.

Another odd thing is that this dress feels like it was designed to have shoulder pads - yet none are called for.  I don't have broad shoulders (lucky you if you do!) so I plan on trying a small shoulder pad to see if it helps the shoulder line.

Other than that I'm liking the dress.

Stay tuned as I'm really close to finally finishing this one.

**************************************************** Pin It

9 comments:

  1. This looks lovely! The sleeves on the model look a bit long - perhaps this is a "trend"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing yours. I love patterns with lots of seam detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have narrow shoulders you will get extra length in raglan sleeves. I love the color you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, that pattern would probably work really well for me-- I usually have to add length to every long-sleeved pattern that I do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful color, but so funny about the sleeves! At least it is easy to fix!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmm..those *are* long. The model looks s though she is wearing shoulder pads. This dress will be amazing on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you and Mary - definitely needs shoulder pads. Love the color! Thank you for your kind comment on my blog the other day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a lovely blog :) Please follow back:
    http://cositsthebeesknees.blogspot.com/ xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dress is beautiful, and I love that color. Maybe you can make a furrowed on the outside of the sleeves, this is just a touch of fun if you do not want to cut them. Looking ahead ....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin