Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The one about messy pattern drawers and hidden treasures

I've been on a self-imposed pattern diet lately. I mean, let's get real here. The $3.99 and $1.99 pattern sales from the past years have led to an overabundance of unused patterns taking up space in my sewing studio.

But then Vogue had to go and release some great spring designs. And Joann Fabrics held a $3.99 Vogue Pattern sale. And I convinced myself I had to have  Vogue 1282, a Donna Karan draped knit top and skirt.  So off I went to my local JoAnn Fabrics store.

Only to discover they did not have the new releases out yet.  Sigh.


However, I know from past experience this store is not always meticulous as to where they place patterns.  See what I discovered when I pulled open the drawer labeled 73XX - 75XX?  Numerous random patterns tucked in in the 79XX to 86XX number range. 


So I started opening all of the pattern drawers. And something odd caught my eye as odd.   A bag pattern that I was pretty sure was discontinued.  And a Vogue Elements pattern - again one I was pretty sure was discontinued.


And a discontinued Vogue Craft pattern for Gene doll clothes.


By now I was amazed at the number of out of print (OOP) patterns I was discovering tucked in these drawers. So I kept looking.

And came home with hidden treasures.

Four patterns I had missed purchasing before they went OOP.  Vogue 2762 a 2003 NYNY design with a great drape front top; Vogue 2689 a 2001 Montana design with a fabulous zip front maxi skirt; and two Givenchy designs that I'm super excited to have found.  Vogue 2653, a 2002 Givenchy design for a jacket and slim pants and Vogue 2628, a 2002 Givenchy design for a double-breasted dress with an asymmetrical hem. 


And I was able to purchase them at the $3.99 sale price.

*************************************************** Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:48 AM

    That's a great advertisement for Joann Fabrics! Great finds!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you were able to take advantage of JoAnn's sloppy way of tracking patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20 years ago when I was in high school and worked at the local Joann's, when the new patterns came in, the discontinued ones went into the dumpster. Yes, the dumpster. Then I would drive around back, retrieve that bag that I had just set within reach, and deposit it in the trunk of my car. Yes, I did. Great finds, Sherlock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may need to drive around the back of our JoAnn's.

      Delete
  4. I, too, have found excellent OOP Vogues in my Joann's drawers (during sales, of course). They finally cleared them all out and seem to be reorganized. Thankfully, I got what I wanted before that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to remember that about patterns in the drawer @ JoAnn's.
    btw, that doll pattern looks fabulous !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! And now I must go dig through the pattern drawers at my local JoAnn's to see what treasures might be lurking there.

    I got the Donna Karan pattern for the skirt and top from Vogue on line during a $3.99 sale a week or two ago, and am waiting for the fabric to make it with to be delivered. It's going to be perfect for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what lovely patterns. Can't wait to see how they end up in your wardrobe. I'm living vicariously these days because I don't seem to be able to sew. :( g

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had similar experiences in JoAnn's pattern drawers. I have definitely learned not to give up just because it isn't where it belongs. Three out of four times I find it misfiled somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Givenchy trouser suit is superb. What a find!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super. I'm going to be looking through the drawers now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too funny that you should find "their old dated stash"... when I worked for their competitor... the one with the H.F. initials...
    we had to pull the patterns and then count how many we had b/4 we threw them away... (meaning; we got to take home all we wanted!:)
    So yes... you did luck out! Enjoy your find.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharon,

    You have been awarded The Versatile Blog Award! Display the badge on your blog by using the HTML code below. I have removed the first left vee < and you will need to add it back in when you use the code. Go to http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/what-goes-around-comes-around.html for the simple rules. Congratulations, Mary

    img border="0" src="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-__GelmPSuz0/TptmHAlTDyI/AAAAAAAAD6A/xkbOUjXz9Zo/s1600/Versatile-Blogger-Icon.bmp" />

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin