Saturday, February 25, 2012

It's Official! I'm now licensed to teach Zumba

Yep, it's official.  I'm now a licenses Zumba instructor.  

In terms of enjoyment I think Zumba rates as high as sewing. Which is one reason I decided to become an instructor.

I gotta tell you , it's going to be tough to choose between the two during those periods when my spare time is limited. Did I just hear some gasps from some of you?  LOL.  Zumba or sewing? Don't worry, I'll just improve on my time management skills so I can still get a lot of sewing done. Too bad there wasn't a way to operate a sewing machine while doing Zumba...


Becoming licensed to teach was a commitment - both in cost and time.  I attended a full day of training yesterday - just for the basics!   I can't tell you how exhilarating it was.  Well, and a lot of work too.  

I arrived at 8 a.m. and left at 5:30 p.m.  Workout, lecture, workout, lecture, workout, lecture...well you get the point. There were about 40 of us nice and cozy in a small dance studio.  After registering, we began the day with an hour master class .  If you've ever done Zumba in a crowded environment, you know what it was like.  You had to watch your arms and movements so you didn't slam into the person next to you.  But such positive energy in that room.  When one did accidentally brush against your neighbor it just brought about a smile. 

My mind is still reeling from the amount of information I took in yesterday. But for now I'll be focusing on reviewing everything from yesterday, putting together a routine, holding some practice classes and looking for teaching opportunities.  So if you're in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul) area, I'll also have a website set up soon with my schedule.  And if you know of anyplace looking for an instructor for evening or weekend classes, please email me at sewingbysharon at gmail dot com. 


Now I'm off to Zumba class and then to the sewing machine to finish my Vogue 8744 dress. 


***************************************************************



Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Sounds like a lot f fun, and a lot of work! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I think you'll be really good at this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats and kudos to you! I've been in fitness (certified Group Exercise, personal trainer, pilates, and others) for 17 years (re-entered sewing 3 years ago). Zumba is alot of fun and you're right: you have to be licensed under them...anybody just can't teach it (they are very strict on their copyright laws).

    Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to mention: I haven't sewn in a while, but fitness has been taking over. It will be tough to balance..especially once you start teaching. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Sharon!! I am a big Zumba fan, I take 3 classes a week. On alternating days I take BodyPump and BodyCombat. Can't live without my exercise classes.
    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! And congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Congrats on your new adventure...

    Christiana
    sewamusing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharon ~ I wanted to let you know how much I’ve enjoyed reading your blog! I first found it when I did a Google search for John Kloss patterns, and clicked on the link to your blog. Well, I didn’t find the elusive pattern (and I’m still searching for it!), but I read and read and read loads of your blog posts, and am always happy when you post a new one. So, yesterday, when I was given the Versatile Blogger award and knew I would need to pass it on to bloggers that I truly value, I immediately thought of you! You can read more about it on my blog if you wish.

    To accept you follow these rules:
    1. Add the award to your blog;
    2. Thank the blogger who gave it to you;
    3. Mention 7 random things about yourself;
    4. List the rules;
    5. Give the award to 15 bloggers;
    6. Inform each of those 15 bloggers by leaving a comment on their blog .
    Have fun! ~ Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a glad symbiotic combo....sewing and zumba.
    makes my body happy and soul soothed
    just to think of it:)
    joy and more joy to you,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is great! I always wanted to be an aerobic instructor but like you said it is a commitment. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Sharon. I'm sure you will have tons of fun being a zumba instructor, I just recently purchased it on dvd as I have young ones at home so makes it hard to get to classes.

    Hope you manage to have enough time for your sewing and zumba, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to attend one of your Zumba classes! Keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you. Congratulations to your new profession.

    garage

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found your post is really helpful for me.. thanks.. keep posting good articles..

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin