Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Everythings coming up roses - Simplicity 2599

I did it! I finished my first challenge over at The Sew Weekly.

I even managed to finish it on time.

The challenge this week was to sew something inspired by an accessory - shoes, hat, shoes, brooch, shoes, jewelry, belt, shoes.  Yea, I had shoes on the brain. I figured I'd sew something inspired by a great pair of shoes, after all I have dozens to choose from.

But when my eye landed on this clutch I knew this was my inspiration piece and that I would sew something that mimicked those gray fabric roses.


That's when I remembered a pair of silk/rayon pants I had purchased five years ago.

The. Perfect. Color.

Knowing I had very little fabric to work with, I planned to sew a sleeveless tank and embellish it with fabric roses.


As I searched my patterns for a simple tank and came across Simplicity 2599.  Not only was it a B, C, D cup pattern (woot! no alterations) it included instructions for fabric roses.  Perfect.


I managed to squeeze the sleeveless version out of the fabric from the pants as well as three fabric roses - versus seven as shown on the pattern illustration.   The pants were fully lined so I used the lining fabric for the neck and arm facings.

The only change I made to the instructions was to use Unique Stitch instead of sewing the roses.


I'm happy with my new top, especially when I discovered I now have something to wear with my orange Simplicity 2343 skirt.



And with my mustard Vogue 8355 skirt.  Which is currently too small as I'm unable to actually sit in it, LOL. (But I'm working on it, remember my Hello 2012 post?)


It works with basic black, like my black Burda #121 (11-2008 magazine) pants.  Even after two years these are still my go-to pants.


The top also goes well with white - and it's perfect with my little Sophia.


*********************************** Pin It

33 comments:

  1. that grey is the perfect color... I am so drawn to grey lately (it is the new black isn't it ??)
    lovely fabric roses :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grey is the new black...at least in my closet!

      Delete
  2. What a super challenge piece! You did a really fabulous job. Wow. I love challenges. They really make you stretch yourself and get out of that box! And you do things you wouldn't normally even think to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Gwen. If I hadn't had the challenge at The Sew Weekly those pants would still be hanging in my closet unworn.

      Delete
  3. I love it! Especially the roses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your top, those are great embelishments, just love the roses. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic top, Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the effect with the orange skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really nice! I love it and the colour especially .. I love it with the orange.

    I have that pattern and as it is stinking hot here I am nearly desperate to make it (D cup also! woo hoo!) but I am still painting my bedroom and rescue car trips for my Mum and sister I don't think I'll get it done till next week. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love the pattern Summer! Especially knowing you won't have to alter for an FBA. Hope you get all your stuff done so you can get to the super fun stuff - sewing!

      Delete
  9. Lovely! Wonderful colour. Seems to work with just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous top and refashion, too! I think the three roses looks just perfect - any more and it'd be overwhelming. Sometimes we just need some limitations to bring out the best in us! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think you're right. More than three roses would have been too much - and too heavy!

      Delete
  11. Lovely refashion! And it looks like it will be very versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping it's going to be a versatile as I think it will be - the color is so basic I'm able to pair it with a lot.

      Delete
  12. Hrmmmm...I have that pattern but never tried the fabric roses. I might have to revisit it!
    Great job!! Those roses are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I bought the pattern when it was first released and look how long it took me to actually use it!

      Delete
  13. Anonymous7:06 PM

    Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a stunning top, Sharon! And I love your photos. Sophia is a doll!
    I'm so happy to see you in the BBTL class, also!
    xo, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a great top and your hair looks amazing! It's lovely how well that top goes with everything. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm trying to grow out my hair but get it trimmed every six weeks. Pretty soon I'm going to have it cut into an inverted bob again.

      Delete
  16. Hi! I can't believe I found someone else who likes to refashion their clothes!

    Well, actually I haven't done it yet but I bought this fabric for a jacket and happened on a skirt that's too big for me and it's a perfect match to that jacket fabric!

    I'm worried about grainlines when I use the fabric. I thought I could use a straight pin and follow threads but I would need better eyes than mine. The fabric feels like a georgette but tighter woven.

    Any suggestions? How do you do it? Thanks - love your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy! I think there are a lot of us who like to refashion our clothes.

      As far as grainlines go...here's my secret. I didn't worry about it. I've sewn with enough patterns to know generally how pieces are laid out grain wise. I just laid my pieces on top of it and eyeballed it.

      I know, I know...some of you gasping in disbelief right now, but hey it worked.

      If it's a full skirt I'd take it apart, undo any gathers or darts and see if you can determine the grain based on how the skirt pattern would have been cut.

      Delete
  17. That is gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I particularly like it with the orange skirt. What a great transformation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been wanting something to wear with that orange skirt so yea!

      Delete
  18. Pretty top! The roses are the best part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like how the roses turned out :-)

      Delete
  19. such a wonderful top, sharon! I do love it it's so! it's a perfect addition to a simple blouse.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin