Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Sew a Barbie Apron: An half circle apron sewing tutorial for 11-1/2" fashion dolls

I love aprons - even itty bitty Barbie(tm) ones.  Since I'm partial to half aprons myself, I figured Barbie could use a new one.

So I whipped one up.

I'll show you how so you can whip one up too.  

Let's get started.  Download the half-circle apron pattern here.  It's an 8-1/2" x 11" PDF document.  (Please let me know if you have trouble downloading the file.) 

Cut one apron body and one rectangle 20" x 1-1/2" for the waistband/ties.


Pin the lace trim on the right side of the apron matching the bottom edge.  Stitch using a 1/4" seam allowance.


 The lace trim after it's stitched to the apron.


Turn the bottom edge towards the wrong side of the apron. Lightly press.


On the right side stitch close to the edge which will hold the hem in place.


Fold the back edge toward the wrong side by 1/4".  Finger press.  Fold another 1/4" toward the wrong side. Press.


Stitch side hem in place.


Staystitch the waist curve by stitching 1/4" from the edge.


Carefully clip to the stitching.  Don't worry if you accidentally clip through the stitches , just restitch.


Mark the center of the waistband using a removable fabric marker or chalk.


Pin the wrong side of the apron to the right side of the waistband matching center.


Stitch the apron to the waistband using a 1/4" seam allowance.


Press the seam toward the waistband.


Continue pressing the long edge of the waistband 1/4" toward the wrong side of the waistband.



Press the other long edge and both short ends of the waistband 1/4" toward the wrong side of the waistband.


Fold the waistband in half wrong sides together. Pin in place over the apron seam.


Stitch close to the edges of the waistband being sure to secure the waistband to the apron.


Tie apron on your Barbie and admire.



Enjoy making your little half aprons.  And if you do make one (or two or three....) please share them in my Flickr account so we can all see your handiwork.

Next post I'll show you how to modify this pattern and sew a double layer apron with a bias tape finish complete with mini-pocket.


For now, I'll leave you with a shot of my little sewing buddy thwarting my attempts to photograph the end results!



*******************************************************

This post is part of:
Get Your Craft On Tuesday at Today's Creative Blog 


Tip Junkie handmade projects
******************************************************. Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I.m sure you know that Simplicity has a couple of patterns for 30's style apron ornaments. They are adorable and I have been sewing like crazy on them. Good job on the Barbie items. My granddaughter has the American Girl dolls and I have been sewing for them. Have a wonderful Christmas Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just love this. Thanks for sharing this tutorial.
    http://www.miss-maggiesplace.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! My mom used to make clothes for my Barbie but I don't have the patience for clothes sewing of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! My 6 six year old has just become obsessed with Barbies, so this is a great project for us. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin