Friday, December 02, 2011

Flashback Friday - Christmas Cookies

Ah.  Did you hear my big relaxed sigh? I just finished enjoying a cup of tea seeing as I've taken a day off of work to begin preparing our home for Christmas. I know Christmas is still a few weeks away but I also know how quickly it can sneak up on me.

The main event today will be cookie baking. Mmmmm...

But which recipe shall I choose first?  Sugar cutouts are a tradition - and a favorite - in our house hold.

Helping to frost Christmas cut out cookies circa 1979
 Perhaps it will be Spritz.  


Maybe the always delicious Snickerdoodles.


The gobble-em-up-by-the-handful favorite Peanut Butter Blossoms.


The not-so-lovely but oh-so-delicious Candy Cane cookies


 Maybe I'll begin with the melt-in-your-mouth butter caramels.


Or the you-can't-believe-how-easy-these-are-to-make chocolate truffles.


Perhaps the bigger question is how can I keep the candy and cookies from being eaten before next week's cookie exchange?

********************************************************** Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I have two absolute favourites: Pebernødder and Vanillekranse!

    * Pebernødder - Peppernuts
    1 cup butter
    1-1/3 scant cups sugar
    2 eggs
    4 cups flour
    1 tablesp. soda
    1 tablesp. ginger
    1/2 tablesp. anise extract
    1/4 tablesp. nutmeg
    1/2 tablesp. salt
    1/2 tablesp. cinnamon
    ½ cup sorghum
    ½ tablesp. vanilla
    Work all ingredients together and roll in tiny balls about the size of a nickel. Put on cookie sheet. Bake 9-10 minutes at 300o F. Quantity depends on size of the nuts.
    -------------------------------------------
    * Vanillekranse - Vanilla Wreaths
    1½ cups butter
    2 1/4 cups sugar
    2 eggs, beaten
    1½ tablesp. vanilla
    3½ cups flour
    ½ cup finely chopped almonds
    Cream butter and sugar. Add the rest of the ingredients. Mix until dough is smooth. Put dough in cookie press and press out onto greased cookie sheet in small wreaths (1½-inch diameter). Bake at 325o F until slightly brown. Makes approximately 150.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne LO - both of those sound delicious! I've never baked either of them and I think this is the year to change that! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really must find a recipe for snickerdoodles. They aren't something we have in the UK and my husband hadn't heard of them until a couple of weeks ago and he loved the name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!! It's almost time to start my own holiday cookie and candy making. I made caramels once, but they quickly crystallized (so they were more like maple sugar candies by the time they were eaten). But you've inspired me to give them another shot.

    Here are 2 recipes I tried for the first time last year and loved - chocolate fudge and white chocolate bark balls: http://fivemuses.blogspot.com/2010/12/santas-kitchen-fudge-and-white-bark.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing excellent informations. Your site is so cool. I'm impressed by the details that you’ve on this web site. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. louis vuitton designer handbags

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin