Sunday, November 20, 2011

The two-hour knit top aka Jalie 2921 Scarf-Collar Top

At this weekend's local PatternReview celebration (and I'll share more of that with you after I get all the photos downloaded) one of the participants was wearing a scarf-collar knit top. Being the PatternReview.com lurker that I am, I immediately recognized it as the Jalie 2921 scarf-collar knit top.

After a quick discussion on how the sizing ran for the brand and tips for sewing the top, she shared that it only takes her about an hour to make one.

"Ha!" I thought. "That top is way too complicated to only take an hour.  Wow, she's really a good sewer!"

That thought was followed by "Hey! I have that pattern in my stash. I should use it because that's a cute tee"

So I did.

And it really is pretty fast.  Not one hour fast (I bow down to you Lori).   But just about double that.  So two hours for cutting and sewing a tee ain't too shabby is it?


The fabric is a lightweight abstract print from our fabric shopping at SR Harris yesterday.

Because it was an abstract print I wasn't too concerned with where I placed the pattern pieces. And I almost managed to give myself a bulls eye.

I laughed out loud as soon as I put it on as it's much more obvious in person. It's okay, you can laugh along with me.

The scarf/neckline on this tee has the greatest construction!

Attach collar to top. 


Roll top up into collar.


 Sew scarf and collar seam. (A teeny-tiny 1" is left open to allow for turning.)


 Turn right side out.


 Seriously. You should buy the pattern just for that.

And the fact that the fit and sizing is great. Pretty close to RTW sizing.  I sewed this with zero alterations. Yea, you read that right. Z-E-R-O! 

Well, and because it's a darn cute tee.

***************************************************
Edit 11/21/11: Whoops! Got so excited about no alterations that I told a little fib.  But not on purposes! I completely forgot that I raised the neckline by 2".  Whew, got that off my chest.

**************************************************

Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Wow, you already sewed something from the PR Day? Kudos! Love the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It *is* cute...and 2 hours is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the top! Another pattern I need to buy soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute top, can' wait to hear abou PR day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A girl can't have enough tops! This one is totally cute. You look so happy in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely a very cute "T"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a nice top, and love the fabric. I must be a bit off today, but would I be correct in thinking that you need to leave an opening somewhere to turn the tie and shirt back right side out? Like the back of then neck? This is a much nicer way that what I've usually seen in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the pics. I watched Sharon do this and I think I almost have the guts to try it. Great top too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful pattern isn't it? Love the print you used for your version. It looks so nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:58 AM

    nice job..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darn it!!! I thought I had enough patterns and now I must get this one just for the fun of putting it together. Thanks for the pictorial of how this went together. your top looks fabulous on you! Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking top!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin