Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Finishing a long-forgotten top - Burda 11-2008-114

I figured it was about time I finished sewing this top -#114- from the November 2008 issue of Burda.  It's a simple over-blouse with tiny neck pleats, 3/4 length sleeves and an elasticized waistline. Looks quite fetching in the photo doesn't it?


I choose a sheer silk hoping to get the same romantic feel as the top in the magazine.  Many of you might even recognize the fabric as it was one of the Anna Sui silks offered by Fabric.com.

After having this cut  out for almost two years it's finally finished. But I find it a bit blah.

Soooooo, I'm playing around a bit pinning various pieces of trim to the front.

What do you think of the addition of an applique to the center front?



*******************************************************


Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Don't like the applique. I like the fabric. Could we see the whole top please, perhaps with you wearing it? I'm thinking a great necklace might be the pop of color you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with patsijean. Love the fabric. The applique, though pretty, I think will be too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make mine a third vote against the applique. It would be like gilding the lily; that fabric is bold enough to stand on it's own. Is there a way to add white piping, perhaps? That might help give it some extra definition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there...fairly new here. The applique doesnt work with the beautiful top fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not crazy about the appliqué, either. It lands the piece squarely in the 80's, I think! Something more subtle along the neckline may work. I like Barbara's suggestion about piping, also!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would leave the top, sans applique, and wewar a colorful scarf with it, or some big fabulous beads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I be honest here? No-on the applique because it doesn't play nice with the original fabric. If you want to add some dimension, use a solid color (the black or the white - I prefer the white) and make some pintucks or or a corded design. That will give you the interest you are looking for at the neckline...well IMHO!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea for honesty! Thanks for the comments. The applique is history. I knew something was off I just couldn't pinpoint what. Thanks for the suggestions I'll play some more and let the fabric take center stage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. my advice would be; make it something that makes YOU feel pretty. Because then you will get so much joy from wearing it. Let it speak to YOU, fabric is only secondary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would leave the applique for a plain fabric. This fabric is beautiful without additional embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to say "no" on the applique as well. If you still feel it's too blah, despite such beautiful fabric, what about outlining some of the crescents near the neckline with beads? Or making some of them cut-outs or pulled thread embroidery?

    ReplyDelete
  12. do you have anymore fabric to make a small ruffle at the neckline ?? I don`t know if this is your style though.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin