Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Oops! or why I'm not BFF with plaids

You do know when working with plaids you should determine if you have an even or uneven plaid, right?

And you want to think about the layout, being sure to match at major seams whenever possible. 

Yea, well, do as I say, not as I do.

You see I spaced out when cutting out this skirt.

I worked hard to make sure the side seams matched well. 

Oh, I was so proud of myself!

Until I began pinning the front seam - oops! 


Oh well, too late to fix now so I'm just moving forward. Besides I can tell everyone its ready-to-wear :-)

The skirt has some fun little design details.  It's longer in back than the front, although on GiGi here you can't tell.  It's high-waisted and the center back seam ending in a split vee at the back waist.  There's also a little buckled tab at the back waist placed just below the vee.

I do want to make sure and show you this little detail.


It's a dart.  Both the front and back have horizontal darts along the center front. Interesting huh?

********************************************* Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Plaids, especially uneven plaids, can be very tricky. Probably no one but a sewist would notice, though. I think it will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always add some trim to the front - a nice plum velvet ribbon - as a design feature!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right Julia. Someone that sews will notice that seam right away - everyone else? Probably not.

    Carolyn - leave it you to come up with a great idea to disguise it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's adorable! And if anyone asks, it was meant to be that way. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A LOT of RTW Plaids don't match. I stopped worrying about it lol.

    Cute skirt. What pattern is that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Besides I can tell everyone its ready-to-wear :-)
    LOL!! Just what I was thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I. LOVE. PLAIDS! But don't ever, I mean ever ask me to sew with them... Well don't ask me to sew period.

    But the point is, even though you say you jacked this up, I don't see it. It looks like an amazing skirt, I tell ya!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin