Thursday, September 29, 2011

The $100+ library book

I'm a fan of my local library and especially of the interlibrary loan program.  There's been many times I've been able to access textile or design books from the University of MN library. 

One of my latest loans was a book on batiks.


Oh sure, there's plenty of information online about batiks. But it just isn't the same as holding that book in my hand, slowly turning the pages, savoring the text and photos while snuggled into the corner of my couch.

Plus, this book is from 1922.

See? Look at some of the great fashion photos.





But the title of this post alluded to a $100 library book.

What's so special about this book? 

See for yourself.

This book comes complete with a chewed up corner at a cost of over $100 - to me!
Let me explain.

I had the book on loan for three weeks. For two of those weeks it sat on my bookshelf waiting until I had time to read it.

When I did get around to reading it I remember the pages sticking due to that damaged corner. But I didn't think too much about it. After all, its an old book.

I finished the book, turned it in on time and moved on with my life.

Until I received an email from my library telling me the lending library (U of MN) would not accept of fix the damaged book and my fine would be over $100 for a replacement.

Gasp! I think my heart stopped for a second.

I was sure I hadn't damaged it, but after some conversations with library staff it became obvious it happened while in my possession.

But how?

My Maltese, Sophia, is too small (and too old) to have done this.  My lab mix, Abby, could have reached the book but she's trained so well she hasn't taken a bite out of anything she's not supposed to touch in more than four years.

All of sudden it hit me. I'd hosted a big family get-together and a family member brought their Siberian Husky puppy along.  And I vaguely remembered the puppy had been allowed in the house for a short period of time.

And puppies like to chew things. 

The puppy must have taken a bite out of the book.



Sigh. 
The story does end on a happy note.   The lending library was willing to accept a purchased copy - which I was able to find for $40 - in lieu of the fine.

And I now have a 1922 book on batiks to add to my library.

******************************************************** Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I had a similar story one time, though the book was not that expensive. It ended ok, but that was after a pretty dramatic confrontation.

    Glad your story ended on a happy note!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow!!! This could also be considered a mystery book, and solved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a bummer but glad the issue is resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that you were able to resolve the issue for the smaller amount. Bonus - you now have a very interesting book in your personal library!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! I'm glad the library worked with you on this.

    cool! I got a textile related capcha "braid"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! First I didn't know you could replace books at the library...and second glad it only ended up costing you $40 instead of $100!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! It isn't really funny but then again I laughed really hard!!!! :)
    e.

    I bet it looks great on your shelf!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin