Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Hmmm, now that was a dumb idea

Ever had one of those ah-ha moments? You know, when you just figured out the best solution ever to your little nagging problem?

One of those flashes of brilliance hit me just the other day.

I was busy sewing my circle skirt, (after those silly sewing four-legged sewing companions got bored and left the room long enough for me to actually cut out the skirt!  and from your comments I see I'm not the only one with "helpful" sewing buddies).

Anyway, as I was saying. I was busy sewing my circle skirt and realized the fabric was a bit sheerer than I had anticipated. 

Having a bit of a phobia about wearing see-through clothing (remind me to share one that embarrassing moment in fashion with you someday. ) I realized I'd have to wear a slip with this skirt.

Okay, so raise your hand if you want to wear a slip under a summer skirt.  Nope, me neither.

"Ah-ha!" I thought.  "I can just add a cotton lining.  Just a partial lining so it doesn't get too heavy."

Dumb idea: I cut the lining using the pattern for the shorter version of the skirt and basted it to the waistline before adding the waistband.  It qualifies as a dumb idea because the skirt no longer fell softly from the waistline.

I realized my mistake when I tried the skirt on. There was too much additional bulk due to the addition of a second circle skirt underneath the first one.  I have enough hip-fluff already thank-you- very-much.  The lining didn't need to be that full.

I'll just remove the lining completely and take my chances on the sheerness in the sunshine.


At least I had fun taking photos when I discovered my camera can shoot multiple photos in  seconds when using the self timer.

***********************************

Pin It

10 comments:

  1. I have dumb ideas all the time! But for the sake of my self esteem, I refer to them as 'learning opportunities'. A dumb idea by any other name is still a dumb idea, but I feel better!:-)

    I prefer a lining in a full skirt instead of a slip also, because if you are going to go full, you need to twirl! {Which reminds me, I love the photos! What kind of camera do you use?}

    Try this: measure from the waistband to just below your butt, and construct a band in a stretch knit that width and the length of your waist measurement or high hip. Attach the full cotton lining to one end and the other end to your waistband, and you have a built in tummy trimmer! Bonus: you can twirl all you want without worrying about flashing underwear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love the photos. What a fun skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe a skirt out of a fabric that has the same flow as the skirt... or maybe another pattern for the mini under skirt- straight to A-line with 2 side slits... if necessary but as the skirt is kind of full, the sun won't be much of a problem...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:06 AM

    In a situation like this, I use two panels, one front, one back, attached only at the waistband, and with only enough width to cover the essentials - no fullness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, at least it is fixable!

    How about a totally versatile half slip in a tan color lightwaight knit? Works with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learn so much from reading your blog! I would have done the same thing so it wasn't a total dumb idea, just flawed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sending you an email.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a playful photo session! I love your beautiful new skirt. I'm definitely drawn to the colors in your print.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why are you so against wearing a slip?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin