Thursday, July 21, 2011

Yabba, dabba, doo! McCall's 6319 or yet another knit dress

Okay, enough with the "teaser" photo.  Here's the dress:
McCall's 6319 with wide belt

It's McCall's 6319, another easy to sew sleeveless knit dress with interesting neckline options.  I planned  to sew view C, the dress shown in gray.
Image from www.mccallpattern.mccall.com
Oops! Not paying close attention while cutting out my pattern pieces meant I ended up with view B.
McCall's 6319 with narrow belt
That's okay. I like that view also.  

But that off-center v-neck combined with the fabric I choose reminds me of Wilma Flintstone.  

Good think I didn't accessorize with my big white beaded necklace...

(You didn't see it before I mentioned it but now that's all you can think of right?)

The entire bodice is lined which I found to be a nice touch as it finishes the neck and armhole edges very neatly.  The instructions provided for lining the bodice are excellent. You stitch together one shoulder seam in both the bodice and lining, leaving one unsewn. The armhole and neck edges are then stitched together and the lining is turned through the unsewn shoulder seam.  Simply slipstitch that shoulder seam lining together and there you have it - a nicely finished inside.

The waistline casing is created when the skirt and bodice are sewn together. And did you notice the not so nice finished edges?  Yea, everything doesn't have to be a work of art.

The pattern was 99 cents. The dress fabric was purchased on clearance at Joann's for about $6.  The lining was a small piece of knit left over from another project. The 1/4" elastic for the waist was maybe 50 cents.  For a dress that will see one (maybe two) seasons I didn't waste my time changing the thread in my serger so the seams would look pretty.

I thought the zipper detail on the shoulder of view A (the white dress) was kinda fun and thought I'd add it to this dress.  However a quick peek at my zipper box revealed the only metal zipper I had near the correct size was a taupe.  So, thumbs down on that idea.
By the way, if you do choose to add the zipper detail, if you follow the instructions you'll have a functioning zipper on your shoulder.  You could just sew it to the shoulder after the seam is sewn,which would be a lot faster.

Oh, before I forget.  Sizing.   I felt this one had plenty of ease in it.  Enough that there was no FBA done on this dress....and I took the side seams in a bit.  So you might want to flat measure the pattern before you cut it out.   Which of course I did not do. Do as I say, not as I do...


From the back it just looks like a simple knit dress. I like it when the back of the dress gives no hint as to the fun design in the front.

So there you have it. Another easy knit dress from McCall's.

************************************************* Pin It

30 comments:

  1. Really cute design, and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking dress, Sharon. Don't you just love adding up what you have in a garment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute...You look great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha! Great post title! It's a fun dress with a little bit of funk. And I never would have thought of the Flintstones if you hadn't brought it up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable dress--and I wouldn't have thought of the Flintstones without your comment ;) (Glad you didn't style you hair like Wilma's!)

    Gah! Now I have that theme song running through my head!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wilma was obviously ahead of her time! Your dress looks great and you have reminded me that I have this pattern and need to dig it out, I was thinking of the view with the zipper so thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this! The dress looks fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. clearly, this is my fav of all your recents!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ps- you are STILL a frock tease!! hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another great easy knit dress from McCalls! You look fantastic in this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the dress Wilma, I mean Sharon ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made lol with the Wilma reference.....I love this fabric....looks great on you too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your version came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very hip and cool. I love the neckline!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You make the prettiest dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, look at you, all cute in that dress. It looks fantastic on you. Fred would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like that pattern fabric.
    Debbi
    -ourhometoyours

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your dress is done! Good job girl.

    ~Living Dailies Sewing Publisher: Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your dress is done! Good job girl.

    ~Living Dailies Sewing Publisher: Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your dress is done! Good job girl.

    ~Living Dailies Sewing Publisher: Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that dress!!! The fabric is great and the blue belt looks fabulous with it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like this dress on you. I have seen this pattern several times but not made up. It looks better "in real time" than the pattern envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful design!!! I love the asymmetrical neckline!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very nice - love the fabric and the assymetry adds a lot of interest. The lining method is great.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh - I like this one! Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so impressed with how fast you whip these up. It looks great! And Wilma didn't even enter my mind until you mentioned it. Maybe if you had the necklace and a bone in your hair... :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. fabulous dress, love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think I like your final version the best! Looks great, Sharon. And by the way, Wilma was quite the fashionista in her day!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this dress on you I think it really cute. The fabric is fun suits the design.You look fab !

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin