Saturday, June 11, 2011

Still plugging away - McCall's 6294 jacket

The jacket, McCall's 6294, is slowly coming together. 

During the cold winter months I would have had this baby done and mixed into my wardrobe by now.  But during the summer months I can't bear to be shut up in my sewing studio when there is gorgeous weather to be enjoyed outside.

This past week the weather, combined with a busy evening schedule,  provided brief opportunities for sewing.   When I say brief, I actually mean very brief. As in 15 minutes here, 20 minutes there.

Do you ever have weeks like that?  I don't know about you but I'm often  tempted to say "why waste 15 minutes sewing...you know you won't get much done".  But I ignore that little voice and sew a seam or two and before you know it I'm closer to a completed jacket.

Back to the progress on this particular jacket.

The lining is partially in.  I see that I mismarked the bottom edge slightly (ahem...okay, more than just slightly) and will need to redo that seam.

Right now, I'm not liking the fit on the jacket.  The armholes feel too low causing two things: tightness across the upper arm when I reach forward and this bagginess at the upper chest area.  


Now the jacket is designed for 1/4" shoulder pads and I haven't put those in place yet.  I'm wondering if the combination of my sloping shoulders (which I did not alter the pattern for) and the extra fabric for the shoulder pads is causing that excess fabric.  

I guess once I put in shoulder pads I'll find out, right?

I'm eager to complete the jacket as I already have my next project planned.  Vogue 1247.  The Rachel Comey top that so many of you have already sewn.

 
I have this lovely fuchsia fabric that arrived in a Fabric Mart Fabrics bundle that should work beautifully.  Feels like silk but unless I take the time to do a burn test I won't know for sure. Either way it drapes beautifully and a quick layout of the pattern pieces proved there is just enough fabric for the top.  Once I  iron out those wrinkles and cut out the pattern pieces I think it will act as a great incentive for completing my jacket.

******************************************************** Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I am interested in how this jacket turns out. I have the pattern and I was thinking about making it as a summer jacket too. Does it have the same fitting issues on you as it does on the dress form? Don't you just love the FFM bundles. Sometimes they contain really neat fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have the fitting issues on me as on the dressform, although not as pronounced. I'm going to try shoulder pads and see if it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the shoulder pads will help. Hope it works out as the style is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adding the shoulder pads will eliminate some if not all of the bagginess.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin