Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My what big shoulders you have

Remember these? 

No?

That's because the likes of these weren't see in the fashion world for many years.  I suspect many of you never even mourned their passing. 

What you're looking at a pair of gen-u-ine late 80s shoulder pads. About 1/2" thick. 

I actually had three packages of these in my sewing supplies. Not too sure why I bothered to hang onto them all these years, but they sure came in handy tonight now didn't they? 

That's because I put that McCall's jacket on and tried out a number of shoulder pads.  The jacket is designed for a 1/4" shoulder pad, but it's looking like I'll need to use these thicker one.  The fits still not the best but it's getting better.

See?  Here's a quick shot of the jacket tossed on with the shoulder pads tucked in place. My after Zumba workout look is not a pretty one 'people so no head shots tonight.

 
******************************************************* Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Glad the shoulder pads did the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved shoulder pads! I finally put them aside but still have some of those '80's style pads in my stash, just in case!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't tell that you have such large shoulder pads in those shoulders. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the shoulder pads as a skinny kid in the late 80s. Nowadays ... after 6 years of being a sarcastic and mouthy soldier in the army ... I'm almost afraid to see what I'd look like with 1/2" shoulder pads on top of my shoulders! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hate that shoulder pads get a bad rap. in the 40s they were staples and they really can give you that "small waisted look" if you made your upper proportions larger....really how is that bad? haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 80's gave shoulder pads a bad name, unfortunately. I love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved my 80's shoulder pads!!!!!

    ;->

    janet xox
    http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved my 80's shoulder pads!!!!!

    ;->

    janet xox
    http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Add me to the list of those who loved her 80's shoulder pads!

    I recently inherited a box of them (hey, they accompanied several boxes of fine quality natural fibers, from a friend who was moving....how could I say "no"?

    I see a future for them......

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have recently bought a shirt with shoulder pads in it and I have totally changed my mind about them. I think if done properly they can work well. The jacket looks great with them in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use shoulder pads in almost everything. We tend to get shlumpy as we age and they do help the silhouette. Recently, I saw an old rerun of "Dallas", and the shoulders on Linda Evans were like football players!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shoulder pads are still useful for defining shoulders. Overtime, I've only changed the size that I use. They just give a cleaner look to jackets.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin