Thursday, April 14, 2011

I do tables too: another DIY project

I swear this family room / dining room redo is taking forever.  But considering we moved in here eight years ago and have yet to complete the kitchen makeover I guess a few months on this room is nothing.

So far we've ripped up the carpet, installed a wood floor and painted the walls. I customized and lengthened new curtains, sewed a one-yard beaded table runner, and customized a set of accent tables.

As a huge bargain shopper I found the glass top I wanted,  in the size I wanted,  at a price I liked - three tables for less than $200, and that included tax! But the bottom piece was a glossy black - not the look I was going for at all.

While considering if I should purchase the set, I knelt down to check out the black finish wondering how easy it would be to paint over the black. Then it hit me. I'm a DIYer! Why couldn't I just rewrap that section in fabric? 

And that's what I did.  Easy peasy.  I'll show you how.

Gather your tools. You'll need a screwdriver, a staple gun, fabric of your choice, scissors, removable fabric marker and ruler.

First things first. Use the screwdriver to remove the portion of the table to be covered in fabric. Remove any additional pieces if needed.


Lay the piece flat on the wrong side of the fabric and trace around the edge.


Add a "seam allowance" and cut out. I added four inches as this allowed me plenty of fabric to wrap around the edges.

 With the piece centered on the cut out fabric begin pulling the fabric up and stapling in place near the edge. It works best if you alternate the stapling - pull the fabric up on one side and staple. Pull the fabric up on the opposite side and staple. Continue in that manner around the entire edge being sure to pull fabric taunt before stapling in place. 

Trim excess fabric close to the staples.


Using the screwdriver reattach any pieces you removed previously.


The finished fabric covered piece. I covered this part on each of the three tables. At that point I just needed to put the tables together.


Ta-da! Customized accent tables. 


See how easy it is to DIY? 

**********************************
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. That is sooooo kewl! Love how you redid the tables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [15 Apr 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Sharon. I wouldn't have thought of covering that shelf with fabric. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea...and you can change the look if you get tired of it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! The table looks great. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who takes a while getting a room together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's really a nice detail, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything on your blog is adorable! You may just inspire me to pick up the needle and try my hand at some projects. :)

    So excited about this blog club and it is wonderful to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cool, Sharon. I hate to admit that I never would have thought of that, although I have done the same thing to a set of folding chairs with padded seats and backs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. good job. looking forward to more posts welcome to the blog club

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin