Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Flirty flounce skirt - done!


There may have been a few sewing boo-boos while this was under construction but the end result is - in my humble opinion - F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!

It's a simple lined pencil skirt, faced waistline, center back walking slit and an asymmetrical flounce sewn diagonally down the front.  Realistically it should have only taken three hours to sew, but hey. Guess I needed a reminder not to push it when I'm overly tired.

The flounce is finished with a narrow hem.  Since I don't own one of those fancy-dancy narrow hem foots I did it my way.

Press hem allowance - in this case it was 5/8"

Stitch very close to the edge of the fold.

Oh so carefully trim as close as possible to the stitches. 


Turn in again and stitch in place using the previous stitches as your guideline.

How easy was that?


Now I know you're all wondering what pattern this is, right?

Surprise!

It's an 11 year old design.

Yep, my sewing peeps. You read that right. Eleven years old.

It's skirt number 117 from the October 2000 issue of Burda World of Fashion.  You just ran away from the computer screen to dig through your old issues of Burda didn't you?

The flounce on their version looks to be a sheer fabric. My skirt - including the flounce - is a lightweight wool. 

Photo from BWOF October 2000


If you don't have this issue the skirt would be pretty easy to replicate.
  • Start with a pencil skirt pattern. 
  • Draw a diagonal line from upper left to lower right of skirt. 
  • Measure that line. 
  • Calculate the diameter needed for the inner circumference of the flounce - the inner circle. So, do you remember how to do that? (Yea, I didn't think I'd need that math again either.)
  • Shams, over at Communing with Fabric, did a post on this very thing.  Yay! She provided the formula c=2*pi*r with c being the inner circumference. (Here's a link to an online circle calculator to help you determine your c.)
  • Here is her post along with photos.
  • The width of the circle will be the width of the flounce. This skirt's flounce is wider at the top tapering to just a few inches at the hemline.
  • Cut out the flounce. Hem the flounce.
  • Stay stitch the inner circle.  Clip to staystitching.
  • Sew the flounce to the line marked on the skirt front.
  • Finish pencil skirt as usual
******************************************************* Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Your skirt is gorgeous and to think it came out of a BWOF 11 years old - wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous. Love those "old" patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! All of your sleepy-sewing paid off

    ReplyDelete
  4. so beautiful and kind of 30's ish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a fabulous skirt. So glad that it worked out in the end. A good classic design can be used forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The skirt is really kewl and a great take on a pencil skirt. The math equation is fear inducing, I hated math in school and now to realize that it's invaded my passion, ugggghhh! Thanks for the links though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. **LOVE** Another reason to save EVERY Burda. That is a completely fabulous skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful skirt and completely on trend! I was surprised to see my name mentioned. Thanks for the shout out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This IS fabulous! What a statement skirt. I cannot believe the pattern us 11 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Strut your stuff, ruffley girl! That's a totally cute skirt. You wear it well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the skirt! I'm inspired and want to make one this Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an elegant skirt both in color and style. I think this will be a versatile skirt in your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic!!!! You are probably better off doing the narrow hem the way you do. That fancy dancy narrow hem foot isn't all that easy to use, at least for me. It takes practice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah! I have that magazine in my stash and I remember when I bought it, I fall in love that skirt.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin