Sunday, March 06, 2011

DIY - Lengthen curtains with fabric strips

Sometimes when you're decorating your home you find exactly what you're looking for. 
  • The right style curtains: large grommets - check
  • A great price: $7 each - check
  • The perfect color: chocolate brown - check
  • The correct length: oops - too short

No problem.  I own a sewing machine, remember? Not only that but I just purchased home dec fabric to make pillows for that room that would work for lengthening the curtains. 

Those too short curtains are the correct length in no time and custom-made for my decor.  Sophia's helping me show-off the new look.

So how did I do it?

Easy.

1) Determine how much length you need add. In my case it was 7". 

2) Decide if you're going to add fabric to the bottom or insert fabric near the bottom. I'll let you in on a little secret - I choose to insert fabric strips was because I didn't want to re-hem the curtains. 

3) Measure and make a mark where you want the fabric inserted.  In my case I cut off the bottom 12"


4) Carefully remove the stitches from the sides of the curtains.


5) Cut off the bottom portion along the line measured earlier.

6) Cut enough fabric strips to equal the length you want to add.

Bonus Tip:  Measure twice cut once.  I measured once. Not only did I forget to include seam allowances but I measured wrong.  Of course by the time I realized it I had already completed one panel.  Which meant I had to start over.

7) Sew or serge the strips together.


8) Sew or serge the fabric to bottom edge of the curtain.

9) Take the portion of the curtain previously cut off - you know, the part with the hem - and sew or serge it to the bottom of the fabric.

10) Optional: Insert fabric to lengthen the lining.  I skipped this step as the end of my lining will fall below the window sill. From the outside looking in you'll never notice the lining is too short.



11) Stand back and admire. 



And the amount of money you saved on your custom curtains can be our little secret.

************************************************* Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Sharon these are fantastic! I really think I need to hang out at your blog more often--you could definitely inspire me. Of course having Sophia sitting in front of these wonderful curtains kind of kicks the fantastic up a notch, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job. It would cost a fortune to have those curtains lengthened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific job! I like the way the different fabric you used makes everything tie in together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miriam in KS7:48 PM

    I did this this summer for my daughter. (She wanted the addition in the top third of the curtains.)

    Your fix looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [07 Mar 12:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, and sure beats making the panels from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great way to spruce up curtains. And love the dog, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute curtains! And thanks for the sewing tips. I always think to add to the bottom and end up rehemming. This is so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great customizing project, and I like that you added multiple fabrics between the curtain and hem, not just at the hem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, a great post, great tuto! I can guess I will go where the money you saved, fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That tutorial you have just shared truly inspired me, and your cutie looks cute sitting around your curtains. You've truly done the stuff amazingly, I admire your passion!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin