Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Back to Burda

Every month when I receive my Burda Style magazine I eagerly flip through it looking for THE item I want to sew.

Way back in September THE  items I choose was a skirt. Not just any skirt, but a pencil skirt with curved panels that wrap around to the center side back seams.  Beautiful lines.  

I traced the pattern only days after receiving the magazine. I even had the skirt almost completely sewn within two weeks.

But I wasn't sure on the length. I like the idea of the longer skirt silhouette but lately I've been wearing most of my skirts about mid-knee.

So it sat. And sat. And sat. Mostly because the weather turned cold so quickly and every time I thought about hemming the skirt I didn't want to change out of my warm layers to try it on.

But if I don't get to it I won't be able to wear it now will I?

So tonight was the night. Before changing into my comfort clothes I donned the skirt, snapped a few photos and decided on a hem.   After reviewing the photos I realized that on me this skirt either needs to be longer or shorter.  Where it hits now - even with the hem - is at the widest part of my calf which makes me appear shorter than I actually am.

Do you ever use the photograph trick to help you determine a hem, fitting issue or even decide on a design detail? 


By the way, the skirt is number 116 from the September 2010 issue. I'll post a complete review for you in a few days. Now only do I find it flattering with its unique curved panels but it was easy to sew.

***************************************** Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Cute skirt, Sharon. Great idea using the camera to help decide the hem length.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking photos is a great way to see things more objectively. It's looking good, so I guess you are going with a shorter length since it can't easily get longer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole "take a photo" thing was seriously eye-opening for me when I started figuring out what sort of body I had to sew for. (It was easy to just "pose" in an attempt to get a semi-flattering shot of me before then...when you're trying to sew something that fits, it's a very different story!)

    So yes, I'm trying to take photos mid-project when I have questions now - this is a perfect example!

    One thing I already know...I don't have a "pencil skirt body" - I'll just enjoy seeing a pic of the finished length on you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a neat skirt pattern! I've made it once, but want to do another in a nicer fabric. Yours is looking great. You are so right, a little shorter should be perfect. Claire Kennedy did a great post on where hems should hit, and she also pointed out that they shouldn't hit at the widest part of your calf. I actually hadn't thought of that before. It certainly makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it does look good, the curves are flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this skirt and the dress pattern with same curved lines. Kaori did an excellent version of the skirt last month. She is short and made a longer skirt length (perhaps by default). It looked great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this skirt, too, when it came out. Haven't traced off any patterns in quite a long time, though! Looks great on you, eager to see more pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a terrific skirt. Interesting what the camera's eye sees.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your skirt the panelling looks great on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So did you go shorter or longer?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great idea to take a photo to determine where the hem should be.

    Your skirt turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharon, that is a very flattering skirt. Well done! And, they say the camara never lies, right?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin