Saturday, January 01, 2011

Cowl neck + Turtleneck + Drama = Burda 7444

The perfect marriage of a cowl neck and a turtleneck with a little drama thrown in for good measure.

Burda 7444 pullover knit top
The turtleneck is pretty obvious. The cowl neck is hinted at with the front drape.

The drama? Well, that's the back shoulders, baby.


All in all it's a pretty simple top to sew. Tedious, but simple.   I managed to cut this out and sew it all today. And that was in between helping my husband rip up carpet and prepare the floor for our new flooring.

The front piece is gathered along the shoulder line and wraps over the shoulder where it is gathered and attached to the back like a raglan sleeve (as shown above). 

The instructions have you run two rows of long machine stitches along the shoulder line and the back side edge. 






Next you pull the gathers up to a specified measurement. In my case it was 7-1/2" for the shoulders and 10-1/4" for the back side edge. To keep the stitches from pulling out when I was gathering them I pulled all the threads to the back side and tied a knot.



Instead of sewing a ribbon to the wrong side to stay the gathers (per the written instructions) I cut a piece of clear elastic 7-1/2" and sewed in place down the center of the two rows of stitching.


I did the same thing to stabilize the side back edges, even though the instructions called for strips of fusible interfacing.



Once the front is sewn to the back you get this awesome design detail.


There's no need to add the zipper unless you use a fairly stable knit. Which you don't want to do as you'll loose the great gathering and draping detail.


I used a soft knit - probably a polyester - that had been purchased about two years ago at Hancock Fabrics for this design, Butterick 5146 (now OOP). While I did begin sewing the long kimono style jacket I decided it really wasn't a look for me.  I think this Burda top was a better fit for the fabric (and me).
Butterick 5146 (photo Butterick.com)

While my love affair with the cowl neck continues this Burda top is a good option for those days when I like the additional comfort of fabric around my neck.

*************************************************** Pin It

21 comments:

  1. That is a fabulous design!! I love the rich brown and the weight of the fabric are perfect. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ordered this pattern

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your top. Great job. Where did you get your pattern? Did it come in plus size?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and sophisticated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love the look of those ruched shoulders that cascade into the cowl effect at the front neckline - how dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning look and cleverly made. Thank you for the tute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are definitely cowling it out! But the design detail on this one is absolutely stunning! Makes me wish that I could just wear a top over a skirt or pair of pants because this is definitely a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is such a cool pattern. Your top looks perfect! Smart and sophisticated. Happy Sewing New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool top! It certainly makes a statement. I really love the back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous! The draping is fantastic, and reminds me of 40s high-style fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one stunning top! Looks amazing coming and going.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh beautiful top,, I love that pattern,, where can I get it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a stunning design! I had not seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous! Is that Burda's single patterns or from the magazine?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooo, I love that one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous! I must invest in this pattern. Many thanks, and wear yours in total happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that top is gorgeous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Thanks for the tutorial. You did such a beautiful job with this top. It looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll tell ya, Sharon... you find the BEST patterns! I have purchased a few patterns that I never noticed until you made them up. You have a great eye! I just ordered this pattern.

    I love this version you created!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin