Tuesday, December 21, 2010

How to: Make ribbon Christmas tree paper gift tags

While most people think I spend the majority of my spare time sewing, I do in fact dabble in other creative pursuits. That means I have a lot of art supplies on hand for when inspiration strikes.

Sometimes the inspiration is quite small - like these little ribbon tree gift tags.


As I was wrapping gifts the other day I realized I had not purchased any gift tags.

My first thought was to make fabric tags, because, well, my mind does default to textiles.  Knowing I really didn't have time to make the type of fabric tags I envisioned I came  up with these little tags instead.

They only took minutes to make. Plus I even managed to use the sewing machine.


For each tag, I cut out two tag shapes out of a two-sided decorative card stock using a shipping tag as my template.  With a paper punch I added a hole to the top for the ribbon.


Next, I cut five pieces of ribbon ranging in size from 1/2" (at the top) to 2" (at the bottom).  Each piece of ribbon is 1/4" larger than the one above it.

On one of the tags, I placed the ribbon pieces on the top in the shape of a fir tree.

At my sewing machine, I stitched each piece of ribbon to the tag using a wide zig-zag stitch. 

To cover the stitches on the back side, I placed the two tags together and stitched around the outer edges using a wide zig-zag stitch. 

A length of ribbon (10-12") is looped through the hole so the tag can be attached to the gift.

My last step was to stamp "Merry Christmas" on the back side in gold ink.

Voila!


A nice touch to a prettily wrapped gift. 

Now, back to sewing...

************************************
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Very cute tags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really Cute! I think you should sell them on Etsy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon.- Only wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. My best wishes for another year full of happy sewing ...!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin