Saturday, December 18, 2010

Easy last minute gift idea - Vogue 8551 silk scarf

I purchased an accessories pattern - Vogue 8551 - some time ago as I intrigued by the ruched silk scarf on the cover.


This morning I found myself in need of a quick Christmas gift. So I immediately pulled out this this pattern knowing I had a stash of silks sitting patiently in my fabric closet.

I got down to business and whipped this beauty up in 30 minutes.


One of the great things about this scarf is it's ability to change colors.  Say I'm in the mood to wear orange.  Presto-chang-o! Orange is now one of the more prominent colors.


I'd love to tell you how it's made because it's simplicity is ingenious.  But it's not my design so I'm not free to share the secrets with you. Just trust me when I tell you it's one of the easiest designs you'll ever sew.

I can also tell you that you do NOT need the full 3/4 yard of each fabric (six colors in all) as written on the back of the pattern envelope. Be aware that if you buy yardage specifically to make this scarf you'll end up with excess fabric.


Alas. Once I completed it, I knew the person I had in mind would hate it.  While I think this is a beautiful and artistic piece, it's much too "over the top" for this particular person. Which is fine. I don't think this is a scarf that everyone would be comfortable wearing as it WILL attract attention.

"Hmmmm," I thought to myself "Maybe if I just tone it down a bit. How about those gray rayon remnants?". 

Sounded good right?  Unfortunately the rayon fabric was much too soft for this design. You MUST have something that has body or perhaps a nap (think velvet) or the ruching on the scarf won't happen. Instead you'll ust end up with a sad flat scarf like this one.


Oh well, at least I tried. And now you know what fabric to avoid when you sew this one.

I still want my gift to be handmade so I'm back to the drawing board sewing machine this evening to work on a different scarf style.


P.S. Want to see a gorgeous example of this made in blue silks? Check out Sham's blog post.

***************************************************** Pin It

5 comments:

  1. I've always loved this scarf but you are so right, it's definitely for a dramatic look. Hope you get to make one that fits your friend's style...and this one will be lovely in your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That gold one is gorgeous, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That scarf is just gorgeous. You're right, though - not for everyone. I always worry when sewing up a gift, whether the recipient will actually use the item, even if it's something really simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just did a little research in the THREADS archive and found instructions for a similar scarf, not rouched however. the instructions are for the Endless Tube Scarf in issue #97, page 98.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin