Sunday, November 28, 2010

Weekend Wrap up

Whew.  Why is it that four day weekends seem to fly by faster than the usual two day weekends? Is it the anticipation of four days in which to accomplish a multitude of tasks?

No matter what the reason I find myself at the computer pondering where the past 5,460 minutes went.  

Thanksgiving Thursday
Actually I guess it would have been a three day weekend - only 4,320 minutes - because Thursday was spent celebrating Thanksgiving with family.  That's just a day of fun!

Unfortunately, my daughter was getting over a nasty cold and she choose to stay away from the family celebration due to my son's weakened immune system. After six months of chemo treatments he's reached the point where his blood counts are very, very low. Low enough to require a transfusion and the delay of this last round of chemo.  She didn't want to risk exposing him to something that his body couldn't fight off.

Black Friday shopping
None for me thank-you-very-much.

I've worked full-time since my kids were toddlers. During many of their growing up years I added a second part-time job to my schedule. You know, just to make ends meet. As a single mom receiving no child support those part time retail jobs were a life saver.

However, after working retail for way more holiday sales than I care to remember, I vowed if I ever reached a point where I didn't have to work a second job I would not go to any stores during their holiday sales.  (Take a breath Sharon. You don't have to say it all in one sentence you know.)

For the most part I've kept that promise. Black Friday was no exception. I was going to spend the day sewing, but we ended up painting instead. By "we" I mean my husband as he hates the way I paint. I do the prep work and help with the clean up but he does the actual painting.

Oh yea, I'm the safety inspector also.



But I'll let you in on a little secret. I did do some shopping. From the comfort of my home using my computer. Great deals, free shipping and delivered right to my doorstep. Nice!

Saturday cookie bake
Saturday was the annual cookie bake day. Yummy, right? 


Joining me this year was my daughter as well as some of my nieces and nephews and their friends. The young people ranged in age from 16 to 20 and were so much fun to have around. Even if I didn't quite understand why they kept making unicorn cut out cookies and talking about "Charlie the Unicorn".  Thanks to YouTube I now know what they were giggling about.

We spent all afternoon baking tons of cookies.  And do you know how they repaid me? They took all the good looking cookies and left me all their ugly cut outs!  LOL!   

My biggest - and only - regret about hosting cookie bake day was that I had to pass on the chance to meet Dana (Lean Mean Sewing Machine)!!!!  Super duper bummed. She was in town and had plans to visit SR Harris and wanted to meet there.  I seriously considered letting the kids bake while I took a trip to the meet her, but common sense ruled. Cookie Bake Day is an annual tradition in our family that we look forward too. I'm sure we'll have another chance - right Dana?

Sunday sewing
Actually this subtitle should read Sunday wanna be sewing.  I never turned the machine on.  But I did clean and organize the sewing room. That kind of counts, right?

**********************************************
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. At least you got some painting done...*smile* I never think of this weekend as a 4-day weekend, it's always 3 days to me but at least we get a chance to rest. At least that's what I'm telling myself and cleaning the sewing room definitely counts in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful weekend to me. You got to spend time with the people who matter most to you. It doesn't get better than that. And to finish off with some time in your sewing room is icing on the cake. All that cleaning and organizing is good for the mojo, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, look at those pretty cookies! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely another time! My mom, sister and I went on Sat. and it just wasn't as much fun as I'd hoped. Which isn't to say I didn't buy anything! We only had about 30 minutes and then there was a line-cutting incident where someone accused me of going ahead of them and I was, and still am, so embarassed about it! And I was innocent! Anyway, sometime soon I hope to post pictures but it's taken me this long to even read your post!

    Glad you got the chance to bake. The cookies look delicious - even the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin