Sunday, November 14, 2010

Thoughts on The Sewing Workshop's Urban T-shirt pattern

Back in June I attended a trunk show with Linda Lee (Sewing Workshop) which inspired me to purchase a purple and gray striped knit to use for the T-shirt from the Urban T-Shirt and Pants pattern. (Whew! That sure was a long sentence.)

Well, it only took me five months but I can now tell you the t-shirt is done.


Do I like it? Meh, it's okay. I just don't like Sewing Workshop designs on me. On others, I find them artistically attractive but on me I feel downright dowdy. Sigh, you think I'd learn.

Anyway, let me tell you about the pattern.

Sizing
First of all, it's been awhile since I've sewed a Sewing Workshop pattern so I choose my size based on the measurements on the back of the envelope, which place me on the smaller side of a medium. So a medium it was.

This baby ended up huge!

On each side seam, beginning at the armholes, I removed 1" tapering to 1-1/2" at the waistline tapering again to 2" at the hemline. That meant I removed 2" at the bust, 3" at the waist and 4" at the hip. As you can see, it's now more fitted but certainly not skin tight.

Be sure to flat measure this one if you choose to sew it. If - and that's a big if - I sew this again I'll begin with a small.

Fabric
If I remember correctly, the fabric was a rayon blend knit. I'm guessing it has cotton in it based on the feel and the drape. It's a medium weight knit and perhaps I'd have been more pleased if I'd used a lighter weight knit.

I deliberately choose a stripe because - well I guess because it was illustrated in a stripe on the cover. Pretty original huh? The backside of the fabric coordinated nicely, so I sewed the pocket and neck binding using the wrong side.

Sewing
The sewing itself was straight forward with excellent instructions.

I stabilized the shoulder seams by fusing a strip of lightweight interfacing to the seam line before sewing the seam.

I sewed the sleeves in flat before sewing the side seams rather than set them after the side seams are sewn as instructed.

The drape in the front is simply folded over and stitched in the ditch after attaching the neck band. Nice and easy and takes away the need to match stripes or worry about what the back side of your fabric looks like.

The neck band could be tricky but just follow the instructions to a tee and trust me, it'll look just like it should.

Conclusion
The Urban T-Shirt, with its front drape and side pocket, is an interesting take on the basic tee. Be sure to check the pattern measurements and choose your size based on how you want this to fit as it appears to run large.

While it's not going to be one of my go-to tees it is not destined to sit forlornly in the back of my closet. It may not get many opportunities to venture outside of the house, but it will be worn as as a wear-it-around-the-house-on-the-weekend tee.

**************************************** Pin It

5 comments:

  1. I really like the fabric you chose for this. I have this pattern and love the cropped pants, but had my doubts about the T. You did a great job with it, especially since you had to adjust the fit so much. Thanks for sharing your observations on this. I've been tempted to make it a couple of times, but will probably hold off unless I too am inspired by a perfect knit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this pattern very much and the fabric choice is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, when I sewed garments I could never get a SW pattern to work for me. I always looked like a homeless person wearing a potato sack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For what it's worth, it is a pretty tee. However, I know what you mean about the Sewing Workshop patterns. I like the drama and creativity of them but even when I wore business casual to work they didn't work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job with T. I feel like you regarding SW patterns

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin