Friday, October 01, 2010

Flashback Friday rerun - 1980 Raggedy Ann and Andy Halloween Costumes

Aren't they just the cutest little dolls?Yep, that's my little cuties dressed up as Raggedy Ann and Andy for Halloween 1980. The clown and ghost in the back were children in the neighboring apartments.

I had my two dressed up and right after this photo was taken I piled them into the car to head to Grandma and Grandpa's house where there were more opportunities for trick or treating.

Before heading out the door (with their pillowcase treat bags, LOL. I should have sewn them one of these!) they stopped to pose with my youngest sister, D, who was eleven at the time. You know, D's always had an aversion to having her photo taken -I bet if I asked her she would admit that underneath that pumpkin hood she's sticking out her tongue.

Aw, yes, the after trick or treating ritual - dumping all the candy out on the floor and sorting through it. Every year I begged for a chocolate bar and every year Raggedy Andy boy refused and Raggedy Ann girl said "yes, of course, what else would you like?" She's a good girl - I know when I'm sitting in a nursing home she's going to come and visit me :-)

Did any of you sneak candy from your children's trick or treat loot? I don't remember for sure, but knowing what a sweet tooth I have I probably did. Although it's difficult when they are old enough to actually inventory the candy supply!

I know, what you really want to know is if I sewed the costumes, right?

Of course! And they cost me ZERO dollars to make!

What's my secret you ask? Simple.

In 1980 I was an employee of JoAnn Fabrics - back when the store was located in a shopping mall and carried high end fabrics. Yes, you read that right. Wools, silks, ultra suede...you get the picture.

And the employees sewed all the model garments that were displayed in the store. So, using McCall's 7232, I choose to make these two adorable little costumes as model garments. Being model garments meant everything was free - the pattern, the fabric, and all of the notions! The only catch was that it had to be displayed in the store for six weeks.

The costumes, after being worn by a few cousins, were returned to me where they are now packed safely away awaiting a future grandchild's Halloween adventure.

Do you have a Flashback Friday photo you want to share? Post your photo and story on your blog but be sure to leave me a comment so I can go visit!

Originally posted 10/5/2007 here

**********************************


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Too cute!!! I also worked at JoAnn's in the 80's, but we decided it was not a profitable place for me to work part-time...came home with more fabric than money! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have any Halloween celebrations here in Australia, it seems like we're missing out on lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin