Monday, October 18, 2010

A break from sewing to wish my boy a happy birthday

Happy birthday to my sweet boy. I know he's all grown up but he'll always be my sweet little guy.

All birthdays are special. But this one even more so. Considering it was a real possibility that he might not have been with us to celebrate this latest birthday.

Last February 26 this vibrate, healthy young man underwent emergency brain surgery to remove a baseball sized tumor located behind his left eye. His only symptoms had been severe headaches. He was fortunate that the doctor he saw suggested an MRI or he likely would have suffered a seizure. Most of the medical personnel were amazed that he had not suffered seizures, memory loss or other neurological deficits due to the size of his tumor.

A few days after the surgery we heard the devastating news - it was a grade 3 anaplastic astroyctoma. (I shared a bit with you last February, when I/we were all still in shock.)

Over the course of these past nine months my boy has undergone brain surgery; hospital stays; no driving; pills, pills and more pills daily; blood work; daily radiation for six weeks; chemo for six months (he's still in the chemo treatment stage); weekly follow ups with radiologist and oncologist; paperwork, and more paperwork; dealing with short-term and long-term disability; dealing with social security; learning about patient advocates and difficulties with insurance companies....

And he's done all this with a smile and a positive attitude. "I can sit around and feel sorry for myself because I have brain cancer" he's said "or I can just deal with it." He's chosen to deal with it. Positively.

That's not to say that he's never been down. Because he's had his down times. Who wouldn't? But overall the way he has approached this battle has been quite an inspiration.

While he's still undergoing chemo treatment, the prognosis is promising. His scar is healing well and his hair has grown back quite nicely. The follow up MRIs have looked good. No new tumors and no flare ups - just want the doctors want to see.

So today it's not about sewing. It's about celebrating. Pin It

24 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your son. Sounds like wonderful news you received, so happy for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to all of you, especially your son. I am so happy to read that he is doing well. He is an inspiration indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to him and how inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add another "Happy Birthday!" to the list! I've been wondering how the treatments have been going, very happy to read all is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy that he is around to celebrate another birthday! Please give him my best wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, and Happy Birthday! I call my son "my sweet boy", too. Hope you had a great celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering how your son was doing the other day. Thank you for sharing these good news. Happy birthday to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's news worthy of a major celebration!!! Congrats and happy wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Rob! Celebrate the day and your life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely wishing your precious son the happiest of birthdays. Blessings to him, to you and your family. Keeping all of you in thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday and what an insipiring journey so far. I wish him many more years in good health....and wish your family all the best

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What a story! A very happy birthday to a real trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to your son, and I am thrilled to hear such great news about his prognosis. Thank you for reminding me what is really important. I think I will put my latest project aside and hug my daughter a little tighter tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday and many more! I've been through cancer and spent my time concentrating on sewing instead. It worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A super, happy Birthday to your boy! Glad to hear all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh everything about your blog is lovely!
    the pictures make me smile!

    happy blogging you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh everything about your blog is lovely!
    the pictures make me smile!

    happy blogging you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww! What a great story! Happy Birthday! I pray that all stays well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday to your son. Thanks for sharing. Have a great celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't visited your blog in a little while. I am so happy to see you all celebrating your son's birthday, and to hear things are progressing well. Awesome news.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This definitely is a Happy Birthday for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday to your son and many continued blessings to you and your family.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  23. A happy birthday indeed! It's a blessing to be in the presence of someone with such a positive attitude under difficult circumstances. My husband is a two year survivor and has always been solid, optimistic and an encouragement to the rest of us.
    Blessings to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy birthday to your son! I think about him often, and about you. I'll keep praying for you all! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin