Tuesday, September 28, 2010

In progress - Sandra Betzina's last cowl neck knit top, Vogue 1197

Not feelin' the love on this one.

I should be, after all it has three elements I look for in a casual wear-with-my-jeans-on-the-weekend top:

1) It's a knit
2) It has a scoop or v-neckline. This one has a cowl with is even better.
3) It has shoulder/sleeve interest

Like I said, it's not working out too well. A photo of the top in progress:

Here's my analysis:

1) It's a raglan style. Not a good look in a knit top for someone with my body shape (narrow shoulder combined with large bust).

2) The sleeve shirring is not visually widening the shoulder area as much as I thought it would.

3) It's difficult to see in the line drawings, but I found this to be rather boxy in shape. So far I took the side seams in by almost an inch each. I now find that I'll need to sew a shaped seam in the back and remove a lot of fabric - 6" inches or so - around the waist line to get more of the shape I'd like.

4) The instructions provided for the sleeve shirring didn't produce the best results. Next time I'd do it differently, but for now I'll just redo the right sleeve (the left one in this photo) so the gathers are more evenly distributed.

Even though I hate wasting time on something I'm not sure I'll wear, I'm just gonna crank this baby out so I can move on. Now that cooler weather has returned I'm eager to finish the Guy Laroche suit I began last spring.

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I was wondering about that suit. Can't wait to hear how it goes. Shame about the top :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't noticed this pattern but I like how yours looks. Fix that one sleeve and maybe you'll like it better? It seems to fit well at least, sorry you don't care for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, too bad. But, we can't win em' all. You may find that top is perfect under a suit jacket, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I purchased this time recently. Glad to see your comments. I find that a lot of her knit tops are boxy and I end up taking deeper side seams through the waist area as well.

    I have seen several RTW tops with sleeve shearing and that was my key interest in the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The comment above should read "purchased this top" not time recently. My brain and my fingers do not always work together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see your suit~ I have that same patter. I think this willl be my next project as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad about not feeling the love on this top. Just out of curiosity, have you tried some small shoulder pads to help out with the widening of the shoulder? I'm not a fan of raglan sleeves either, set-in or saddle shoulders seem to suit me better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the sleeve shirring also - one reason I bought the pattern.

    I'll have to remember that this pattern line tends to be boxy.

    Small shoulder pads are actually a great idea - thanks

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin