Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Summer sewing - had me a blast

With apologies to the musical Grease, which is playing in the background as I write this post...

The great Minnesota Get-Together, aka the state fair, begins in two days. Which means summer is drawing to an end. Which in turn means summer sewing is drawing to an end.

At least in this household. The warm weather will disappear quickly in the next month or so and it just doesn't make sense for me to spend what precious little time I have to sew on clothing that will be immediately packed away for a year.

I did manage to get a number of projects sewn for the summer, including my new all time favorite dress. My husband is probably getting tired of seeing me wear it to work and to church and to get-togethers and to...well you get the picture. It's definitely my go-to dress and I should have taken the time to sew one more.

That being said, I do think I'll have time to eke out one more summer dress. Just not the same one. This time a lovely Kay Unger design - Vogue 1183. In red.


What signals the end of summer in your household?

********************************************************** Pin It

8 comments:

  1. End of summer here? After the State Fair of Texas closes which is around mid-late October when the temps get into the 80's (rather than the 100+ days of summer). Not unusual for us not to have a freeze until late November or December. We dress "summerish" until well into October...............generally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use to feel that the start of school was the beginning of fall...but now that everyone has graduated...I guess it's those first days when the air gets really crisp in the mornings. BTW, I can't wait to see the Red vogue dress finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going back to school signaled the end of summer for me. I haven't been in school for 4 yrs, but I'm going back this fall to study Fashion Design, so I guess when I start, summer will be over :) Good luck with the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For us the joys of spring and summer are just about to become. I love your Kay Unger pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our end of summer is Labor Day, as school always starts the following morning! The Kay Unger is my next project, too. Great minds...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The end of August, or labor day is my signal that summer is over, though it may not quite feel like it.

    I can't wait to see the Kay Unger red dress. This is next on my sewing list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. End of summer means a new school year. My campus held New Student Orientation sessions starting on August 2 - summer 2010 is but a memory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. DDinDFW10:43 PM

    Although the hot weather will continue for a while, school starts in mid-August here in TX. With kids still in school, that means summer is over. We can still get in a little swimming over the weekends and holiday, but otherwise, we're in the fall mode. I LOVE summer (weather & fun) and I've just now conceded to school & the end of summer.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin