Sunday, July 25, 2010

Vogue 1027 DKNY knit dress

Does this fabric look familiar?

It might, as I posted a photo last February as soon as it arrived in my order from Fabric Mart Fabrics.

In fact, that posting was dated just days before we discovered my son had a brain tumor.

Last February feels like a lifetime ago, yet in reality it was only five months ago. Five months of surgery, recovery, radiation and chemo. For me, and certainly for my son, it really hit home how your life can change in an instant.

During that period I went through a time when I lost all motivation to sew. It felt like such a silly activity. In fact, I went through my supplies and made a rather large sewing related donation to a local thrift store. Included in that donation was yards and yards and yards of fabric.

But not this piece of fabric. Instinctively I knew once we got past the initial shock and treatment I would once again find sewing to be a relaxing retreat.

Which is where I'm at today. My sewing time is still more limited than it was, but I suspect that will soon return to normal also.

That brings me back to this fabric and dress. Knowing it was likely too trendy to survive until next summer I pulled it out with the intent of sewing a maxi dress. Until I remembered this pattern - Vogue 1027. With only four main pattern pieces it was perfect for this large print.

Over the course of the past 1-1/2 weeks I've been working on the dress. All that remains is the final hem. Pics and full review will be coming later this week.

Happy Sewing!

******************************************* Pin It

8 comments:

  1. It looks gorgeous. Lovely fabric and I do seem to remember seeing it on their website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dress. I hope that sewing helps allieviate some of your stress and takes your mind off your troubles, if only for a few moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect pattern for that fabulous print!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress!!! You're right the large print is perfect for this design. I've made this dress before and agree with you that it's a great pattern:)

    ~Victoria
    tenthousandsewinghours.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress is gorgeous! The print is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that you are finding time to sew.
    I love the fabric and it is perfect for the dress. BTW I made it too and it one of my favourite dress,especially when it is hot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your son is doing well and continues to do so. Glad to hear you are finding enjoyment again in sewing. Great pattern for the fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sharon. I do remember when you got this fabric. The dress it "gawchus". I guess I should stitch up mine now. Hot pink and white!
    ANgela

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin