Saturday, July 31, 2010

A quick and easy summer knit top - Butterick 5495

A weeks worth of sewing and this is all I have to show for it, a super simple knit top.

It's not that the top took that long to sew. Total time spent to create it probably totaled two hours and that includes cutting it out.

But its summertime! And the weather has been perfect! Our summers are so short here that I can't bear to spend time cooped up inside my sewing studio.

Last year's summer weather was quite cool so I didn't add much to my existing wardrobe. However, this year is a different story. With the beautiful warm weather we've been experiencing, I discovered I needed a few more tops.

The pattern and view was chosen based on the fact that it only required one yard of fabric. You see, one yard of fabric was all I had. This beautiful RPL knit, purchased as a roll end last year from Emma One Sock, has been patiently waiting to be sewn.

The pattern, Butterick 5495, was definitely not my first choice. While I like the design, I really wanted to find a way to sew view A from McCall's 6078. But alas, I just couldn't squeeze a pattern requiring 1-1/2 yards of fabric onto barely one yard.

I completed a review of the top on Pattern Review (here) and there really isn't much to look out for when sewing this one. It's rated very easy and if you have any sewing experience you shouldn't run into any difficulty. Just follow the instructions. That little loop is inserted into two small openings in front of the top that are created when you sew the underbust seam. When you tighten the loop it forms the front gathers.

I did find the neckline to be way too low as designed and after the top was completed I sewed it closed by about three inches.


I think the short sleeve length is a little wonky. Perhaps being more sleeveless versus cap sleeve would take care of that. The other thing that surprised me was the fact that 1) it needed no FBA and 2) the loop and underbust seam actually fell below the bustline.



All in all, it will be a great top to toss on during the weekends for running errands. Comfortable yet stylish.

Best of all? It's one of a kind.

*********************************************** Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Lovely top! But you have sewn alot this summer - pretty knit dresses and wonderful tops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very pretty top. And, since you have a good fit, you could make it in a snap, using the longer sleeve for cooler weather. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great little top. I'd like to have even half of your production - and I don't have life getting in the way. :) g

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your top! It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really cute and you always know how to pick styles and colors that are flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That top is very pretty and the fabric is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's really nice! I usually have to sew up necklines that are too low, too. The designers must have a thing for cleavage, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Give me quality over quantity anyday.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin