Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I love the 80s - McCall's 3994 60 minute style


Not sure how this 1988 gem of a pattern came into my possession as I'm pretty sure I would have remembered if I had sewed THIS one twenty plus years ago.

Vintage 1988 McCall's 3994 sewing patternNo matter, McCall's 3994 is in my hot little hands now. Remove the big shoulders and it's similar to a few current offerings - Simplicity 2364 and Vogue 2980.

The only reason I pulled it out and used it was because the pattern I had planned on sewing - Simplicity 2364 - required more than one yard of fabric. And I only had one yard of fabric.

Here's a close up of the fabric as the stripes do some pretty weird things when photographed. Most of the photos I took with me wearing the top look like the stripes were on a '60s psychedelic trip - all swirls and oddly shaped circles.

While I carefully cut each piece out single layer so I could match the stripes, it just didn't happen. This delightful striped ottoman knit - from Gorgeous Fabrics - is slightly ribbed. The white stripe bumps up and no matter how carefully I pinned, basted and sewed the fabric shifted.

The top itself was super duper easy to sew, earning it's "The Easy 60 Min Pattern" label. It probably took me about 60 minutes to sew and that's taking into account the fussing I did to try and match the stripes.
The only alteration I made was to remove about 1" in the shoulder area as this was designed for shoulder pads. I know that big shoulders have slowly been coming back in fashion - and personally I kinda like shoulder pads - but not on this.


So what can I say, except "I love the 80s".

Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Really cute shirt! I love stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the top, but loath 80s pads. I have some great 80s patterns that I'm about to try sans power shoulders. It will be interesting to see how much ease is allowed for the pads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job, it's a cute pattern and top. I try to eliminate seams when I'm doing stripes or plaids--it looks like the back seam line could have been removed?? I really enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great pattern for a yard of fabric. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love that! I remember tops like those from the 80s. I recall making something similar but with wide stripes like they show on the envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that top! The modern versions you posted have drapes over the shoulders, and the Jalie sweetheart neckline top might be closer to your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute top! And, what is old is new again, because I have seen similar style patterns recently. Love your zipper necklace! I don't remember you talking about that before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks terrific! You've inspired me to go dig through my pattern boxes for my 80's favorites. And I still have a pair of those "cling" foam raglan shoulder pads - the smaller ones. Remember those? They came in a can with a plastic lid!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this 80s style, but seriously, we wore some bad clothes back then. Think, "Dallas"! This top is awesome,though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute top! Great way to revisit the 80s!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your top turned out very nice. And I sure wouldn't worry about those stripes not matching perfectly. I think they look pretty good.

    I also have a lot of patterns from the 80's. You did a good job making that look current. You would never know that top was designed with big shoulders.

    And I like the necklace on your dressform. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a really cute top!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like that pattern. Is the necklace a made out of zippers?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin