Monday, June 14, 2010

How do you spell love? I spell it VOGUE 1151

Fabulous, knit and easy. My kind of dress.

Of course I have no appropriate place to where this dress. But I don't care.

Because it's fabulous. And it was oh so easy to sew.


Just in case you don't recognize it, it's Vogue 1151, a Cynthia Steffe design. You might not recognize it because I added five inches to the length so it wouldn't be a mini.

In my opinion, one of the best parts of this dress is the back with the exposed zipper. I didn't have a lot of choices for metal zippers at my local Joann store so it's simply a black metal zipper.

Here's a close up of the zipper:

Total time to construct this dress was just under six hours. And that included my pattern alterations. I did a forward shoulder adjustment, a sway back adjustment and an FBA.

The fabric is a Ponteroma Knit in a soft gray purchased at Hancock Fabrics back when I still shopped there. You know, before that horrible little yellow tag system was implemented. (I really should give them another try shouldn't I?) The fabric was a dream to sew.

I sewed a size 12 tapering to a 14 at the waist and hips. I know I've said this many times before but I do not like tight fitting clothes. To the point that at times I probably add more ease than the designer intended. That might be the case with this dress as I found there was plenty of ease in the areas I increased.

If I can figure out a way to wear this dress to the office I will as I'm really pleased with the end result. The bias collar, the exposed zipper, the princess seams, the darted skirt, the topstitched armholes...I like it all.

Added bonus? The neutral gray means any shoe color will look great! Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Fantastic dress. You are so right zippers at Joann's are pretty limited. Speaking of zippers and wearing your dress at the office, a cardigan will cover up the great zipper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this dress pattern and now I have seen your great version I am itching to get at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dress and would definitely where it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great dress, I don't see why you couldn't wear it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh, la la, Sharon! You must make a date night for that dress. Gray is a terrific color because you can jazz it up with any color accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a very pretty dress! You'll just have to creat a situation to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely dress. I agree with the others: No reason why you shouldn't wear that dress in every day situations. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed a fabulous dress. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:30 AM

    I really like the dress. Also, Regarding the yellow tags at Hancock, I pointed out two "mispricings" to the cashier just days ago. Thanks for the heads up! Tyna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your version of the dress! It was so fun to make, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a beautiful dress and it seems to me that a variety of jackets and cardigans will go over it to make it office appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like that dress!! I assume it could be made without the zipper?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That has turned out lovely. I like the black zip against the knit fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic dress. The dress is appropriate for office wear. Just add a cardigan, I will certainly wear it with or without a cardigan to work.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin