Monday, May 31, 2010

A little R&R is just what was needed

After the shock of my son's brain cancer diagnosis and whirlwind of activity over the past few months, hubby and I managed to find some time for just us recently. My son was even feeling well enough to house-sit for us. Which was a blessing as we didn't have to be concerned about an empty house or putting the dogs in a kennel.

Speaking of my son, he's feeling pretty good right now. The initial chemo and radiation is done, with the six months of chemo beginning mid-June. He doesn't have has much energy or strength has he did, but that's certainly to be expected after battling cancer for a few months wouldn't you think? We still won't know for awhile how much - if any - of the tumor remains as an MRI won't be taken for a few more months. It's completely out of our hands and all we can do is pray, pray, pray.

That being said, let's get back to my little vacation. Look what hubby and I woke up to each morning of our get-away? This is on the shore of Lake Superior in Northern Minnesota. We stayed at Surfside in Tofte, which is part of the Bluefin Bay resort. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L! Of course every morning wasn't this clear but who cares?

Not only that, look at the night view from the outdoor patio. We were a week ahead of the crowds so it was so peaceful and quiet. The absolute best part was listening to the waves crash against the rocks along the shoreline as we fell asleep.

We spent a morning in Grand Marais just exploring the shoreline and what few shops that were open. The morning was not only foggy, but downright chilly. I was very thankful I still had a pair of gloves in the car.

The last time we visited Grand Marais was 9/11. Our plan had been to explore the little tourist town but as Brian was waiting for me to get ready he happened to turn on the television and watched with horror what was happening. Needless to say, we checked out immediately and drove home.

That meant we had never discovered the World's Best Donut Shop. Mmmmm, they really are good. Of course any donut tastes good when you only eat them once every year or so :-) If you visit, make sure you write down your name and remember your number. If you go back in future years and can remember your customer number you get a free donut. You definitely want to visit the inside of the shop also as it is filled with photos of customers with their branded coffee mug taken all around the world.

Of course there are hundreds of trails to hike and we choose a few we hadn't explored before. With few other people around it felt like we had the trails all to ourselves. When we reached Baptism Falls and began climbing the stairs to the top of the falls, Brian looked behind us and exclaimed "there's a storm rolling in fast - we better seek cover". Of course I immediately looked behind us to see the sky quickly turning dark and the temps dropping rapidly when only moments before we had sunshine and been complaining about being overdressed.

Fortunately, it was just a heavy fog rolling in and we were able to get some great shops of a foggy Baptism Falls.

Since the resort had bikes available as part of our rental package we spent one afternoon biking, hiking and exploring. Again, it was so relaxing to have the wilderness all to ourselves.

We were also celebrating our 12th wedding anniversary (a month late) and enjoyed dinner and cocktails at the Bluefin Grille. Great food, great service and great martinis.

Of course all good things must come to an end and that includes our little get away. Pin It

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad your son is recovering. Your holiday destination looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you and your husband were able to get away for an awesome getaway in such a beautiful spot.

    A stronger and more rested mom and dad can only benefit your son as you all move forward on his road to what I hope and pray will be a speedy recovery. Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you had a wonderful time with with DH to celebrate your anniversary...and I'm also glad to hear that your son is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a much needed break. Looks like a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my that is beautiful! I would love to visit that area, I may have to pick your brain in the future. :D

    I'm so glad your son is doing well! I still think of him & you often, and will keep both of you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like such a wonderful trip, I think I have read about that donut shop. Nice to hear your son's recovery, prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you were able to get away to such a wonderfully beautiful place! Still praying for you and your son.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a lovely break - just what you needed right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I know your secret to such a svelte body--you only eat donuts once a year! It's so good to hear your son is doing as well as he is. Your vaca looks wonderful, and I am sure that you and your husband needed a break. Blessings continue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I seriously think of you often, since your son has been recovering. I'm glad you were able to get away. This must have been so stressful, I cannot imagine.

    You're a brave and optimistic lady, AND a great sewist on top of it! Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sharon - it was great to meet you last night. Great sewing going on over here! I also had to comment on this post, because I grew up in Grand Marais!! Looks like you had a good time :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin