Sunday, May 02, 2010

How to throw away $100 in less than five minutes

I bet you're wondering what that big white blob is on the bottom of my iron.

Go ahead. Take a guess.

Oh, okay. I'll just tell you.

That, dear readers, is melted plastic from the base of my Rowenta steamer.

It would appear that if you do not place the iron directly onto the metal plate the iron will melt a nice big hole in the base.

Don't believe me? See for yourself.


Oh honestly, I was just sick when I saw what I had done - I mean, how dumb can I be? I've used a steamer for years and years and years. In fact, this was my replacement version that I've only owned for six months. I was tickled pink when I found it at Tuesday Morning for just under $100. I don't know if the outer case is critical to the steam or if it only protects the tank inside as I haven't gone back into the sewing room today after cleaning up this mess.

Apparently I'm still a bit distracted. I really shouldn't be as my son continues to do well. He went back home a few weeks ago and we get together for dinner once a week and talk to each other frequently during the week. Yes, the chemo and radiation are wearing him out, but overall he's doing good and his attitude remains positive. Plus after one more week of radiation and chemo he gets to have four weeks off before beginning the six month round of chemo.

*Sigh* Oh well, in the big scheme of things it's only an iron.

************************************************ Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Yes, it is only an iron, but if it was me I would have had a big cry! Glad to hear your son is continuing to do well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did this to one of my steamers in teh past. Did not affect the iron at all. Hope it's the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! That is something I would do! Sigh. continued best wishes to your son, to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a huge bummer but you have it in the right perspective! It still deserved a bit of profanity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how terrible for you and the iron, I am so sorry. I am happy to hear about your son, that is great news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about your iron! And even though there are obviously more important things happening in your life right now you're sewing equipment is dear to you, too. Hope you are able to find another one inexpensively, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! how sad. I'm glad that it's just the iron and not anything else. I would contact Rowenta to see if it's still safe to use (provided you can get the plastic off the iron's surface. Send them pictures--maybe they will send you a new unit.

    Rose in SV

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I had $1 for every bonehead move I've pulled, I could buy you several new irons!

    I'm keeping your family in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Geez, sorry to see that happen. I have the same system, so I will learn from this. I sometimes do not get the iron on the medal plate as I should. I also forget to turn the darn thing off! That's a big non-no.

    Glad to hear your son is doing better, though tired. Take care of yourself and thoughts/prayers continue for you and your son.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yuck! What a mess. Hopefully, you'll find a replacement soon.

    I continue you pray for your son. God can do amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes! What a pain in the patookus. Are you able to clean the melted gunk off your soleplate? I hope it's still okay...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wanna cry for you. My gravity feed iron has been weirding out lately after burning wholes in a few things I was able to figure out that I need to dial it WAY down to get good results. Going to keep doing that until it konks out. Glad to hear that your son is doing well. A year ago during my bout with cancer I too was quite distracted and made countless goofs. It will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my - I hope it will still work!!
    I am glad your son continues to do well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yikes, I'm so sorry about your iron!
    But I'm glad your son continues to do well. All best wishes to him, and to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sad about your iron but don't bother yourself to much.

    Best wishes to your family.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin