Sunday, March 14, 2010

An update and (woohoo!) a little something from the sewing studio...


As life continues to move forward we've been busy charting new territory as we adjust to our new normal, which now includes an adult child battling brain cancer.

Please know how deeply grateful and thankful I am for every who has thought about us, prayed for us, posted a comment or just read my updates. It means more to me than I could ever adequately express in words. Every word has been a treasure - thank you.

He is doing remarkably well. He's been out of the hospital for a week and a half and we're now in the midst of multiple follow up appointments as well as firming up the schedule for his radiation and chemo treatment. He will have both for six weeks, get four weeks off and then continue chemo for six months. We continue to pray for complete healing.

We don't live in a metro area that has a great mass transit system which makes it difficult for someone who can not drive. As he will be unable to drive for another six weeks, he has chosen to stay with us while he undergoes treatment. Because he's a single man, mom (me) is the next best thing when it comes to making sure he's getting the best of care - and not to mention nutritional and healthy home-cooked meals.

He did spend time at his place this past weekend. Time to spend with friends, catch up on bills, and gather more clothing and necessities for an extended visit.

I took that opportunity to steal a few hours in my sewing studio to work on a new knit wrap dress. Just in time for spring. The pattern is Butterick 5454 and the fabric is a recent purchase from Fabric Mart Fabrics. Looks like they still have it in red if you're interested.

Did any of you buy this knit? If so, what are you sewing with it?

******************************* Pin It

23 comments:

  1. Will continue to think of you!
    Very cute top - great fabric!! Like your colors better than the red, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red is nice but I think you got the better print! Glad to hear that your son is doing so well. Will keep him in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so wish your son the very best health. Sending prayers for him and your family as you move forward toward wellness.

    That's a pretty top. Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute top and great print. I have been thinking and praying for your son and your family. He is so lucky to have you in the same area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you will feel happier too with your son close by.
    Your dress is looking nice and cheerful. Great fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to your boy is doing ok.
    Love the photo of the dress - is it finished - can't tell from the photo?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's wishing for smooth sailing and a flawless recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always hard to fathom why such rough things can happen. Take care and let him know that a whole lot of women in blogland are hoping that he gets well soon. I'm amazed that you can concentrate on sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sharon. I am keeping you and your son in my prayers. I love the print. And the red is TDF!! But I am fasting. LOL. Another three months to go. Hopefully, FM will still have some left.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope everything turns better for you and your son.
    Lizz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for keeping us posted on your Son's progress. I'll definitely keep him in my prayers. May God give you the strength to endure as well, Mom. It's funny, I'm currently working on the same dress. Your fabric is just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great top! So glad you got some time to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm still including your family in my evening prayers. It's great that you got a little time to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Will continue to hold you in my prayers and thoughts.

    Love the dress, let us know how it wears, k? g

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in the middle of this right now. I highly recommend http://www.lotsahelpinghands.com
    for help.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am just starting to read your blog and pray that your son will have a speedy recovery and you may continue to endure with joy and peace. Also, I love the fabric you used on this top/dress. It is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't been visiting blogland for a bit and so just heard the news... My thoughts and my prayers are with all of you as you go through these challenging months.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't been visiting blogland for a bit and so just heard the news... My thoughts and my prayers are with all of you as you go through these challenging months.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful top! Glad you're finding time to sew. Hang in there with your son. Praying....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Like your colors better than the red, though!
    data entry india

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pamela D2:47 AM

    I will pray that your son's treatment goes well. My brother had stage 3 colon cancer and since he is single, I went to help him. It was a long, difficult treatment, very much similar to that planned for your son. The patient barely recovers from surgery and is thrown into months of chemo and radiation. We called my brother the "Iron Man". The doctors and especially the nurses were dedicated angels. I can't tell you how wonderful they were! It is now 4 years since he finished treatment and he passes every test with flying colors. Modern medicine is a miracle! I will pray for both you and your son to have strength.

    Keep up with your sewing! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love that shirt! So glad your son is progressing! Is he able to keep his job/medical benefits during his recuperation and future treatments. It will all go well, I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous10:08 PM

    Hi Sharon, sorry to hear about your son but send wishes from Australia that he fully recovers. I was so thrilled to read your 2008 blog re the red Vogue 2401 dress as i am making it for the Encore Historical Costume Group also in red. Your advice has been so helpful. I will put you on my facebook page.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin