Wednesday, February 17, 2010

If the pants fit - or - the completion UFO number 2

UFO number two - done! Of course all I needed to do was add the closure to the center front of the waistband. There really wasn't much of an excuse to not complete these during the month of UFOs.

The pants are sewn using Burda 7762. A pattern I had originally purchased because I liked the double collar on the jacket. Seriously, check out the line drawing. A shawl collar on top of a notched collar. Cool detail huh?



Better yet, check out the photo of the jacket sewn over at Fehr Trade. Scroll down to the photo labeled "tuxedo inspired jacket."

If I'm so enamored with the jacket why did I sew the pants? That's easy. Pants are much quicker to sew than jackets. And I've been known to choose fast over detail. Plus I had just enough fabric left over from my Burda diagonal front wrap skirt for a pair of pants.

What I didn't realize is that the waist band is actually two separate pieces that overlap at the center front. They are attached at the side seams. Rather than add two buttons and buttonholes I sewed a hook and eye so the front will remain smooth if I choose to wear an untucked top.

With zero alterations, the pants fit as well as any RTW I've purchased. Not the best, but not horrible either. Next time I'll need a little more room at the upper hip, add a tiny bit to the crotch length, and shape the center back waistband. I added a seam after the pants were completed, because the band stood away from my body. I also noticed that apparently I didn't bother to match the stripes at the center back seam - oops. Amazing what a peek behind you will reveal.

All in all, the pants were simple to sew, fit okay, and will be worn occasionally.

Honestly though? When I can pick up pants at the thrift store for very little money (just got me a fabulous pair of Ann Taylor lined brown wool pants for $4) I'd rather spend my sewing time on dresses, skirts and jackets. Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Your pants look great but I can see the logic of finding great pants and spending time working on other projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you whole heartedly. Slacks are such a pain for me to sew, I just don't do it anymore. But, you did a wonderful job on yours. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really cute pants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pants! I love that interesting waistband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the waistband treatment on the pants. I agree that thrift shop purchases can give great satisfication. My Vinnies has great jackets for $15. But I still love to make things too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they look great and the waistband treatment is really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your pants. Love the detail of the waistband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pants look terrific. And even though you can buy pants, still it's nice to have a good TNT when you need pant in a particular color, texture or print.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the pants look wonderful on you, the fit is great. And I love the interesting waist band.

    I have to admit I've never sewn pants for myself yet. I want to do that very soon, but I'm a little scared to start :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great trews! I really must dig mine out, I have a horrible tendancy to put away my proudest accomplishments to wear "for best" when I should really just enjoy them...

    I love making trousers - once you find your formula, they're some of the quickest patterns to whip up in an afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand what you are saying about the pants, but I think that front closure is rather cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look good!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great looking pair of pants. Love that waistband.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin