Sunday, February 21, 2010

Back to the 70s - flutter sleeves and flared skirts

This red and cream rayon dress sewn using Butterick 5731 - a pattern from the mid-1970s. I know some may call it "vintage" but it just doesn't seem right to call something vintage when I clearly remember the clothing from the era. Granted I was quite young

This dress is another completed UFO. It was never finished as I kept debating with myself over the hem length. I finally just chopped off about five inches so that it would hit me about mid-knee.

The pattern was in my collection and I must admit I like the romance of the flutter sleeves and flared hem. I feel as if I need a big floppy hat also. I think it's a soft and feminine dress its design complimented by the drapey rayon fabric - and the GiGi just doesn't do it justice. The floaty sleeves and fitted midriff are better displayed on a real body. When the weather warms up I'll model it - wearing the perfect red shoes of course. Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Thats very pretty!! I hope it wasn't an UFO from the '70's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki - *LOL* Nope, not a UFO from the 70s. Although with my reputation for UFOs I can see how that question could come up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job. I like the style too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a flirty, feminine dress! It will be marvy in the spring and summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a great red dress! The lines are actually very classic/timeless, and I'm looking forward to seeing you model it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. Reminds me of a Simplicity pattern I bought not too long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura9:31 AM

    Cute dress...looks like it will be fun to wear. I'm with you on that "vintage" appellation. I recall my shock when my daughter checked out a library book labeled "historical fiction" and I saw that it took place in the (19)70's!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that style, especially those gorgeous sleeves. Definitely well worth rescuing from the UFO pile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So springy, you are going to look great in that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made a dress like that back in the 70s! Loved it.

    Your much-newer version is going to be great for spring/summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooh I have that same pattern in my stash, so great to see it made up in a gorgeous fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This pattern brings back memories. I made the long version in a blue and white floral print for an end of summer banquet in the late 70's. It was one of my favorite dresses. I think the design is quite timeless, but it can look quite modern depending on the fabric used. I love your red print short version.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous3:22 PM

    I made that dress in the mid 70s in a yellow poly seersucker. It was a sweet dress. Wore it with DBF (now DH) to a concert.

    Lois K

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin