Sunday, January 31, 2010

Making lemonade from lemons - Simplicity 2451 skirt

Remember my post about being shorted 4" on a piece of wool during my last shopping excursion at Hancock Fabrics? (You can read about it here if you haven't already.)

Well, I needed the full 1-1/2 yards for the dress I had planned to sew - McCall's 5971, view B. Yes, I could have sewn view A with small partial cap sleeves, but it just wasn't what I had in my minds eye. I even thought the mini houndstooth dress would look kinda cool with an exposed back zipper ala Gertie. (Still gonna borrow that idea - love it!)

But four inches less than 1-1/2 yards meant there would not be enough for the dress, so I did the next best thing. Whipped up a skirt using one of Simplicity's newer releases - 2451 . The skirt only required 1-3/8" of 60" fabric, so I was able to make it work.

The skirt is has six panels and flares out at the hem - a short mermaid style if you will. It also has a curved yoke, front pockets (yea!) and decorative tabs with 1" buttons. I find the slight downward curve of the front yoke to be flattering.

I originally planned to sew the running stitches using black embroidery thread, but once the skirt was done I didn't think the stitches would have enough of an impact. I'll save that detail for another time.


The pattern doesn't call for a lining, but I do like my lined skirts so a lining was added. A cheap one as I just picked up 15 yards of black polyester lining at the thrift store for a whopping $3.99. At that price I don't care that it's polyester. It will do very nicely in my skirts thank you very much.

Adding a lining to this skirt was very easy to do. All I did was cut the skirt pattern pieces out of lining. To make sure I didn't accidentally cut away the front pocket, I pinned the front pocket piece to the front skirt and cut as one.

I then sewed the skirt lining to the bottom edge of the waistline facing, sewed the facing on per the pattern instructions and voila! Lined skirt.

The pattern is rated "easy-to-sew" so if you're looking for a new basic skirt pattern, this just might be it.

Full review can be read at PatternReview here.

********** Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Did you go back to Hancock's or call them to tell them what they did?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute skirt and great for your work wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like it, I really like it!! That is a really cute little style!
    I saw your comment on Kristine's blog about wanting a Janome 1000CP. I checked online to find the places that sold the Janome coverstitch machines and then called them. They aren't supposed to sell the 1000CP new and ship it, but they didn't seem to have a problem quoting me a price on floor models. I got one for $350 right as the newer model came out. I was told it was the floor model, but it seemed new in the box and smelled new. I didn't have to pay shipping or our state sales tax, so I was thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a very cute skirt. Should work well with lots of other things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really cute. Thank's for the lining tips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the look of this skirt. Got to add this to my have to have pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a flirty, girly skirt! That is cute as can be. Love the yoke and button details. Have fun wearing that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You must be a mindreader! I have my eye on this pattern but so far had only seen the pencil skirt sewn up from it. This shape looks very flattering. I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That skirt is great! I love the way it flares out! Your lining works for me!! Are you going to complain next time you go to Hancocks?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That skirt is super cute. I can't for the life of me figure out why I haven't sewn it or why I didn't get that pattern when they were on sale a week ago. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful. I just made this skirt tonight in a soft denim and I love it. Thanks for the info on the lining, I will definately be making a lined one for work...Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:26 AM

    The skirt is adorable! Wish I had attractive 'skirt' legs.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the second skirt I've seen using this pattern. I am going to have to add it to my wish list. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin